Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Aircon?

ocoro02

Noddy question from a prospective 964 newbie - I rarely see mention of aircon on 964s (well especially the cheap ones I'm looking at!). Was this a common option back then? Does it work ok? It seems daft looking for such creature comforts and I am a wuss, but I've got a bit used to having a/c so would miss it!

I think it was an option.

There are 964's on the market with OEM a/c, you just have to keep looking, or sometimes ask, cos the sellers don't always think to list a/c

I have a 1992 964 and have retro-fitted a/c which works well, but cost £2500 plus Vat. (Money well spent though IMO)

I agree bout the creature comforts, mines a cabrio and I still put a/c in it !!

Good hunting, I love my 964 and drive it every day, if I haven't been out during the day, I go when wifey is watching enders and corrie for an hour !!

I've only just started looking really, but have hankered after a 911 for most of my life! I'm torn between a 993 & a 964, I prefer the purer looks of the 964 and something appeals about it being simpler and a bit smaller. I had a 3 yr old Boxster 3.2S recently but apart from it being incredibly fast, it was maybe a tiny bit cossetted for my liking. I also live in a narrow road and it used to get scratched all the time so the slightly smaller size of the 964 appeals.

That's a great use of time when 'Enders & Corrie is on!

Air Con wasn't standard until the 996's

A rare option on the 964 but worth while if you can find one with, but as with all air cooled 911's, don't expect it to work so well :wink:

Certainly the a/c was an option on the RHD UK cars although you'll find plenty of left hookers which have it.

Most will have been converted from R12 to R134a by now since it is now illegal to refill R12 system - and by now trhey would have all leaked out anyway. R134a will almost certainly leak a little faster than R12 so you'll find that pretty much all 964s with a/c will require a regas, on average, every couple of years.

Once regassed, assuming no other problems with condensers and evaporators the a/c works reasonably well as long as the ambient temperature doesn't get too high. Don't expect the same sort of performance as a modern car though.

Don't get over excited about the difference is size between a 964 and a 993 though - they are the same car with mildly different externals. There are some engine differences and the rear suspension on the 993 is a little more sophisticated, but dimensionally they are almost identical.

Regards

Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back