Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shift mech in a 996 GT3

Ade, if I was in the UK it wouldn't be a problem, but out here, I pretty much have to do everything myself, gearlinkage I can sort, I'm afraid with no garage, synchros are beyond my limits.

Max

Damian, what do you think of the change? is this worth doing? I have always found my RS to have a long throw!

Ricky Bobby said:
Damian, what do you think of the change? is this worth doing? I have always found my RS to have a long throw!

It's shorter, definitely feels more precise. Overall....so far I quite like it, with Cup gear cables it should be closer to 100% satisfaction :)

[cough] Group buy on Cup cables & installation??[/cough]

Damian, seems to be a fair few people here and on RennList that are taking an interest in the gearlinkage project. Whaddya reckon?

Just spoke to Fearnsport - the cost of Cup cables is pretty much fixed from Porsche, but John did say that a "Cup Cable installation day" for a group was do-able. No idea of pricing yet, need to judge interest first.

Maybe some of the Carrera/TT boys would be interested as well?

Spenny_B said:
[cough] Group buy on Cup cables & installation??[/cough]

Damian, seems to be a fair few people here and on RennList that are taking an interest in the gearlinkage project. Whaddya reckon?

Just spoke to Fearnsport - the cost of Cup cables is pretty much fixed from Porsche, but John did say that a "Cup Cable installation day" for a group was do-able. No idea of pricing yet, need to judge interest first.

Maybe some of the Carrera/TT boys would be interested as well?

Add me to the list then matey ;)

I'd be up for it (as well as getting my hands on on a 997 shift)

Whats the difference between the stock and cup cables?

Max

Max Bowler said:
Whats the difference between the stock and cup cables?

Max

The ends of the cables are metal rather than plastic and I do believe it replaces the connectors as well with a metal version. Overall it's supposed to be a sweeter, quicker change.

And the price? I couldn't find them on the web. With my 2nd/3rd gear change problem it may be worth a look, it can't make anything worse than it already is. Does make you wonder on an 80k car why it has crappy plastic fittings.

Max

Only got a 996 C4, up for it if it would make significant change, ie reliability, don't want to go the 30%B&M route...

dervish said:
Only got a 996 C4, up for it if it would make significant change, ie reliability, don't want to go the 30%B&M route...

TBH I don't know whether Cup brake cables would fit, but the 997 shifter would fit, it's a direct replacement. If it's just a shorter throw you're after, you could consider the EVOMS swift shift kit that replaces one of the OEM components whilst shortening the throw.

Evossk.jpg

Here's a picture of the infamous plastic connector used in all 996 and 997 cars......

shift_plastic.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back