Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm liking this a lot

madmoog said:
Mudy,

I got a quote from Peter Morgan at home I'll dig it out later, £2-300 springs to mind. I think that the PPI was something like £160 from JZ Machtech plus £60 for the Leakdown test (that saved me from a big bill as it discovered a 60% loss on one cylinder - broken rings - that was then repaired pripr to me buying it - a huge suprise for both me and its owner).

madmoog, that leaktest was a result

which at £60 is damn good value !
now can someone remind me how they do a leakdown test

A quick search on the net revealed this as I wasn't 100% sure

A number of people have asked "What is a LEAK DOWN test?" and "Can I do it myself?". First, let me explain the concept. We already use a compression test to determine an engines condiditon. the problem with this test is that there are too many variables. It can only be used to check engine condition by comparing cylinders to each other or a past norm. Variables such as cam profile, engine cranking speed etc, will affect the readings.

A leak down tester uses air from a compressor and measures the rate at which it leaks through the engine. This is done with the engine not running and the beauty of this is that toy can find the source of the leakage by listening for the escaped air. Internal leakge is found by air bubbles in the cooling system. Tools need are a leakdown tester, and an air compressor. The tester is available from Milton at about $60.00. Compressor should be at least 2hp and deliver 90psi.

Procedure: Remove spark plugs. Set engine to TDC #1. Calibrate test gauge per the instructions. Lock engine so it can not turn. Conect hose to spark plug hole, Conect pressurized gauge to hose connection. Read leakage. If looking for coolant leaks and nothing obvious shows up, bypass gauge and connect shop air direct to cylinder. Open radiator cap before this. If coolant sprays out, you have a head problem. Do same test on rest of cylinders. Remember to set TDC of each piston for compression stroke. This test is also great for air cooled haed leaks and valve problems. Note that all engines will have some leakge past the rings. I always do full pressure test when I suspect a problem. Make sure engine is secured with full pressure test. it will spin violently. With gauge connected, you can rock crankshaft to see if leakage changes. If so, this is a sign that the ring lands are wearing, new engines will also do this until the rings are seated.

THis also seems to be an interesting article http://www.tmossporting.com/tabid/337/Default.aspx

Happy reading

Thanks madmoog - that enclosed link makes it all sound fairly simply to do it yourself (and immensely satisfying if you know what you are doing I imagine). The only problem I can see is prospective sellers having minor heart-attacks when you turn up to look at their car armed with your home made compressor and pipes!
I'm off to my shed :mrgreen:

Mudy said:
I might go and see it this week with a strong resolve not to buy it until it's been ppi'd!

I notice that the Celebration at 911 Virgin has gone. Any body here (Mudy) bought it?

Boxsey said:
Saw my first celebration in the flesh today and flashed him to say hello from mine :D . But he ignored me :?

He probably traded in his kettle to buy it and forgot what he was driving :lol:

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I thought I'd pop in with a couple of questions/remarks :).

Andy Sulston - the only silver Celebration I've ever seen was on the M6 near Birmingham, back in 2003 or 2004. Wonder if it could have been yours...

Celebration number 003 was owned by my father. Can't remember the exact dates, but I think he owned it from 2000 through to early 2006. It was the first RHD model produced, and the thing that stuck in my mind was the lack of a rear wash/wipe. Cars 001 and 002 were destined for some German executives at Porsche? I believe, though may not be 100% correct in thinking, that it was originally owned by Porsche, and wore the plate A 911 when new.

Registration was Kxx ACK. Stuck in my mind, because I had a slightly tweaked Impreza when he owned the 964, and the Scoob was quicker <130mph. Hence, his Porsche was obviously cack :). But the 964 was much more fun to drive - it was easier to drive the Impreza, and to drive it quickly, but it offered little driver satisfaction. I had a very nice 1987 Peugeot 205GTi before the Scooby, and the 964 gave a very similar driving experience - lots of communication and feedback, it egged you on to go faster :).

Just stumbled across here - was looking for information on a 993 Turbo 4 because my cousin had never heard of them. Doubt I'll be a regular visitor here, as I'm into my motorcycles these days, but thought the above may help someone one day :).

Cheers,

--Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back