Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Owning a second car.....

Sounds like you've had a problem today? Sorry to hear that mate...

Retract part of my last post - if it's just to leave at the station every day, and VERY cheap, I might do that too!

However - to actually drive to work, shops, etc I would stick with the 911 every time: Mine has a ding in the passenger wing, some monstrous stone chips (and now a cracked screen) - but it still drives the same, makes the same noise, and I can't even see the damage from the driving seat :lol:

Sure, I'll get it all fixed when I sell it, but I didn't buy it to look at... :wink:

Different solutions for different people and situations.
Having a second car made sense for me because I do so many boring miles and leave the car in odd places.
You just need reason to justify the expense.

There is some kind of inner glow I feel on a rainy Wednesday morning driving my 'hack' in with all those expensive cars heading toward London, knowing the 993 is home waiting for a proper driving day :)

Like Wattie I have a Trooper as my not exactly a run about but the car I use for the things that a 911 cannot do, like tow, visit neigbours who live down rutted tracks and park at the station for days at a time.

For everything else there is a Porsche.

Talking of visiting people who live down rutted tracks - good move using the Trooper for that... I tried it once in my M030 996 whilst on business in Devon and ended up with a large bill for damaged airconditioning pipework :cry:

Apparently they are fairly exposed just under the sill... :oops:

Friends were impressed though: Partly with the car itself, but mostly the fact that I had managed to get to their house in it... :lol:

well, i'm glad we use the Golf for the big shop.

returned to the car at Asda car park last night to find a nice dent in the rear and rear windscreen completley it smashed. :(

and of course the person responsible for this had left their details....had they **** :roll: :evil:

Oh well, at least it wasn't the 911!

Indeed, if there is a station car park in question, I'd buy something really cheap to leave there, maybe even an electric car as some station car parks will let you park free in those IIRC.

I have the Porsche and a 318 BMW. It's dependably boring but I wouldn't get rid of it. Some days when I can't bear to drive at 2mph over the 30 or so speed bumps on my way to work, it's handy to have.
As for parking in supermarkets, I always straddle 2 spaces miles away from the shop in an empty bit of car park. I know that's a bit annoying for some people, but genereally those car parks never get full to the extent I'm actually taking a needed space....

got a golf GT TDi for the day to day stuff or the long motorway journeys or going riding (difficult to get a bike in a 911, even a cab :D ), the 911 is really only a weekend car. I'd use it more but
a) work is only 5-10 mins away and the oil barely gets warm,
b) the gf works at the same place as me and
c) there's some real clowns in our place and you routinely see on the bulletin boards "Thanks for pranging my car and not telling me"

Apols for the lack of input on my side, the volitile weather has finally catched up with me and Im stuck with a flu... just in time for when the weather brightens up :(

Thinking about it, I can spend a bit more for the 911 I want if i take the 2nd car equation out of the picture.

Scary as it seems, as many of you have pointed out, the saving from the 2nd car (mainly Insurance/mantenence) can go towards one car, will hopefully will make things easier should the odd dents appear from shopping trip!

Thanks all for the input!
Cheers

I hope we don't catch it now he has posted about the flu :D

I do about 30k miles a year commuting so definitely need a 2nd car. I run a Saab TID. Very boring but eats the M1. Occasionally I will take the wife's CLK for a change, however today woke up, saw the sun and came to work in the 911.

I'm looking out of the window at it now and wishing it was time to get back in a drive home. I will be doing so shortly but definitely finding an A road alternative to the M1 :D .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back