Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need help from the track day guru's

MQ

Sao Paulo
Guys & Golls

I've recently had fitted two rear Michelin Sport N2 Extra Load 295x30x18 on my C4S. I needed them in a hurry and it was all that was in stock at that moment. I have Michelin N1's on the front and they have plenty of life in them. I knew I should have had the same tyres put on but with the wet weather being so bad I decided to go for it rather than wait since my mate in his M3 aquaplaned and did a 360 degree on the M6 the other day luckily missing the barrier and anyone else. It was just standing water that he hit and it sent him sideways and he was well within the wear limits on his old tyres but he's just had them changed after the incident.

What I'm asking is or what my problem is that the car feels totally different to drive, not fun and feels scary and twitchy. It used to drive brilliantly and was loads of fun and easy to handle and chuck around. This now feels like the rears are steering the car and you can never tell were it's going. They also feel very soft, if I wobble the steering it's like the rear axle isn't attached and takes an age to reassess itself. Will it cure it if I get some new N2's on the front or is this the feeling of these super sticky N2's. If it is I don't think i like it and I'll have to sell them.

Any help would be appreciated, Marcus

Hi - Yeah currently on recommended 44psi rear.

I just feel so detached from the rear now were as on the old tyres I could feel what was going on and I felt really in tune with it.

Marcus Quigley said:
Hi - Yeah currently on recommended 44psi rear.

I just feel so detached from the rear now were as on the old tyres I could feel what was going on and I felt really in tune with it.

Take a couple of psi out and then see what it feels like :)

Okay will do and I'll try it out on the way to work tomorrow thanks Damien and Vroom.

new tyres take up to 200 miles to bed themselves in

so right now you have a very hard compound at the back, as you rears were very well run in and adopted al any minor misaligments

new tyres will magnify any alignment issues, it's only a few degrees but worth checking as it should always be chacked and done annually, makes a difference, especially when new tyres are fitted

I've got to be honest and get a numpty award for this, I've lowered the back to 42 psi and put the fronts up to 36 psi one was actually 26 psi front left.

Just been out and tested it and it drives fantastic again... phew!!!

It's only just come back from the dealers after it's service, I'm surprised they didn't check it. I thought it was part of a cars service to check tyre pressures?

I'll keep a close eye on the tyres esp the front left for the next few weeks as I have a nice new shiny compressor from Aldi (about 50/60 quid with all attachements) and I have a digital tester to make sure they are spot on.

What a difference it has made, cheers guys for all your help.

Marcus Quigley said:
and I have a digital tester to make sure they are spot on.

Be very careful relying on the digital tester as someone said on this forum the other day how they found theirs was reading something like 10psi out, which based on the little changes you've made already could be significant. Hopefully yours is well calibrated etc and maybe I'm quoting an isolated incident.

as long as a unit is correctly calibrated then it will be fine

a simple test is to get a matching reading from another gauges

I have an analogue (wow soooo ancient that term) and a digi and both are reading there or thereabouts and you're correct defo worth having a backup to double check. Especially when you think how expensive tyres are and if they wear wrong they're buggered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back