Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sat Nav

Glenn Howard

Chaps.
I want to install a double din pioneer sat nav unit into my 99' carrera 4 cab. I currently have a single DIN unit in there so need to make some mods.
I've been told i need a cradle or something and need to move my climate control down nearer the bottom of the centre console.
I'm quite happy to do this and am happy to have a go myself but could do with some direction on how and what parts i need.
Or is it so difficult that i'm better off forking out loads to get someone else to do it which i dont really want to have to do seeing as the unit is costing me about a grand anyway.
:shock: Cheers

Glenn Howard said:
Chaps.
I want to install a double din pioneer sat nav unit into my 99' carrera 4 cab. I currently have a single DIN unit in there so need to make some mods.
I've been told i need a cradle or something and need to move my climate control down nearer the bottom of the centre console.
I'm quite happy to do this and am happy to have a go myself but could do with some direction on how and what parts i need.
Or is it so difficult that i'm better off forking out loads to get someone else to do it which i dont really want to have to do seeing as the unit is costing me about a grand anyway.

A cradle unit is needed for moving the air con and the repositioning can take some time.

But a PCM unit would cost upwards of £2k, not sure at the wiring challenge

but have you considered a single din sat nav unit ? such as the becker cascade ? that would slot in ?
http://911ukforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12873

rather than the top spec cascade the recent Traffic Pro series can still be picked up for £500 and just slot in, although getting in the sat nav cable is a real pain !

Glenn Howard said:
Chaps.

Glen,

I have just installed a Pioneer AVIC D3bti into my 01 996 C2 and it originally had the single DIN CDR22 head unit in it. You need two parts:

Horse-shoe piece 996.552.131.05.A03 (black) - surround for double DIN unit
Aircon piece 996.552.339.00.01C (black also) - for re-locating under CD tray (thin piece of black plastic trim!)

Then you get this:

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=300823

You might also want to take a little look at this thread:

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=301402

Just for your info, Road Radio in Crawley did my install and the chap there had already done several of these units into 996 models so he knew what he was doing. I had to buy the two trim pieces above (total cost about £65) and then I got them to supply and install the unit for £1100. Seemed a better bet than fiddling about with it myself for hours - they even mounted the ipod into the arm rest console for me :D

I've been considering the same myself. That's not a bad price.

I have the AVIC-X1 BT (fold out screen) in my daily driver, which is a fine piece of kit, but a fold-out on the 996 would obscure the AC controls. So I figured if they need to be dropped down to the centre console, I might as well go for a double DIN fixed screen AVIC.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back