Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange fuel/gauge problem - any ideas?

electech said:
The float should NOT jam if you let the car run low on fuel, however the float does not actualy touch the fuel much below 1/4 tank. If you let it run low and only add ten pounds or so the fuel still wont reach the float and hey presto the car does not know the fuel has been added. The car systems calculate the fuel use electronicaly at less than 1/4 tank thus the gauge still appears to work going down.

Cheers - that makes some sense....I noticed that even though it was registering as "empty" and zero range, I was still getting mpg calculations so that seems to tie in too 8)

You'll still get MPG calculations because Porsche estimates the fuel level below a certain fuel level, basing the estimate on average MPG before that point. They do not trust the actual float when level is low so they do it that way. Float will not activate again until a certain threshold is reached. It's all in the service manual. Because of the difference in the tank shape, the C4 has this issue even more than the C2.

Woops....I just accused a BP garage for ripping me off when I added £20 of fuel to an almost empty tank :oops: .....now I know why the needle did not move.

David M said:
Woops....I just accused a BP garage for ripping me off when I added £20 of fuel to an almost empty tank :oops: .....now I know why the needle did not move.

I was only slightly more diplomatic when it happened to me :wink: Luckily the natives in mid-Wales were very friendly :oops: ...and just used my confusion as an excuse to ask questions/have a nose about the car :) 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back