Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Coolant leak

Marc, Tognola really know their stuff and there labour rates are pretty good. Speak to the Boss he will sort you out.. 8)

Book time at an OPC is 1.5 hours.

Well I went out for a longer drive and nothing happened - temp gauge sat just above 80 though crept to 86ish when I got back and stopped. I can't remember what it used to sit at before?

Only if you have some kind of VW camper derivative :wink: :D .

had the same prob- crack on underside of header tank. opc part £133 fitted local garage 1 hour job £40-00 sorted.

rich mortimer said:
had the same prob- crack on underside of header tank. opc part £133 fitted local garage 1 hour job £40-00 sorted.

£133 for a plastic bottle - ***** me!!! Glad I've gone retro. :wink:

i was over the moon to get away with £170 and a drip on the drive way, had flashbacks to 1984.....try mk1 transit ,5 mile from silverstone 263 mile from home, coolant leak, blown head gasket water in crank cases bent con rods. no money no AA and lost in middle of no where- needed to be at track early morn for final of brit champs. I would have given my fit bird (at the time) to get out of that one for £170-00. happy days!

rich mortimer said:
i was over the moon to get away with £170 and a drip on the drive way, had flashbacks to 1984.....try mk1 transit ,5 mile from silverstone 263 mile from home, coolant leak, blown head gasket water in crank cases bent con rods. no money no AA and lost in middle of no where- needed to be at track early morn for final of brit champs. I would have given my fit bird (at the time) to get out of that one for £170-00. happy days!

So, how much for her now? :twisted:

OPC seem to have found the cause of my coolant leak and doesn't seem to be the header tank (although I almost wish it was now).

It appears to be a pin-hole in the pipe that runs from the engine to the radiators along the length of the car. Where this pipe comes down from the engine and turns at 90deg to go forward, the hole is on the elbow of the bend. He said it looks like something has been wearing against the pipe and has worn it through. But there is nothing there which could have rubbed against it. He even suggested something might have attached itself from the road, rubbed through the pipe and is now no longer there!?!?!? :?:

Whilst the pipe would probably cost about £60 for the part, it is the problem of getting to it. He says it is an engine out job, so for the labour alone I am looking at £1100 (plus VAT I guess). And shock horror, this is not covered by the extended warranty :evil:

I have asked him to put a claim into Porsche to see if they will budge but he thought it doubtful.
It takes the bloody pee. No idea how this wore through but I as the customer have to bear the price of a replacement.

Surely if it just a pin hole leak then you could repair it rather then replace the entire pipe if not covered by warranty. Lots of good sealant products now available or even just cut out and replace a section of the pipe with quality fittings?

I would at least try that before paying to have it replaced.

Bl@@dy hell. I'm sure an indie would cut the offending section out and sleeve a new section in.

If you do have it done by an OPC and they take the engine out, it wouldn't cost much more to have a precautionary RMS and intermediate shaft seal done at the same time.

Right, got the call back from OPC. Sorry Sir it is not covered and we are not doing any goodwill gesture on this one. And sorry but the quote of £1100 for the labour has now gone upto £1450 + VAT.

I've now contacted Porsche GB Customer Service myself to see if this will make them budge any and they are due to contact me tomorrow with a verdict.

I also contacted an independent just around the corner from me (Tognola), who were very helpful, saying this should really be covered since it is such an unusual case etc. But he told me he could do it for about half the price that OPC want. So I think, if Porsche GB come back tomorrow and say they will not cover any of the cost, then I will tell them to leave it alone and I will (somehow) get it over to Tognola.

On the plus side at least I still have a brand new Cayman to drive around in whilst they make up their minds.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back