Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiny orange light?

Roadhog1

Trainee
I have noticed a tiny orange light on the very front of the DS door pull inside the car - comes on when the door is open. What is this for?? (prepares to be told the blindingly obvious!!) :oops:

I think it's just there to look pretty and show you where everything is. The 996 has more interior lights than the average office building, that's why they have a battery as big as the average power station.

never seen tiny orange light..... white interior light only. could be an exrta?door not fully closed, yes sounds blindingly correct. could be warning light telling you jelous driver is watching your rise in to the distance!

Could be part of the orientation lighting.. supposed to give a gentle light in the car to give depth to your vision at night and supposedly make you less travel tired/sick

garyw

I have noticed this light too and often wondered what it was for but never remembered to ask anybody.

hopefully somebody will be able to provide the answer...

I would guess, to alert drivers passing you that your door is open, esp. in the dark ... or have I got the wrong light :oops:

I thought it pointed at the ignition so you could accurately insert your key, though why you need it when the interior light comes on is a mystery.
I suppose if you had been sat in the car in the dark with the ignition off for a long time and then wanted to start the car ? (do you remember the garage scene in Pacific heights!!)

I also have a similar light shining down from the rear-view mirror. Dunno what its for, just looks nice.

~ Maxie

Maxie Islam said:
I also have a similar light shining down from the rear-view mirror. Dunno what its for, just looks nice.

~ Maxie

Without wanting to repeat myself... :?

orientation light, orange on the 996, white on the 997

after that RTFM

garyw

Am sure you said 'could be' - which isn't a definitive answer.

....But yes having read the manual as so graciously suggested (pg 51) you are quite right they are light-emitting diodes in the doors and mirror bracket to I quote 'Improve your orientation inside the vehicle when it is dark'.

So now we all know cheers garyw

LOL...orientation light....OK now I understand. I was convinced that such a dim small glkow must be marking a switch or button I couldn't see or something! Thanks to all for the views and explanation.

it is the orientation lamp there should also be one on the back of the interior mirror. Supposed to give a feeling of where things are at night.

The Boxster has these too. The one on the underside of the rear view mirror was nice/useful in that it lights up the centre console.

The door handle lights are useless and pointles IMHO.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back