Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport steering wheel

elliotts

Hello all!

I have a 996 C2 with all the sports options (PSE, chasis etc) and it has the OE 360mm sport steering wheel. I would like to fit a 340mm sport steering wheel plus a steering hub to get it closer.

Is anyone aware of a OE 340mm steering wheel with airbag or a 3rd party steering with airbag with Porsche crest. I don't want the steering wheel to look like an added extra. Most 3rd party ones come with their logo engraved/embossed and I think it just doesn't look good.

Also, has anyone put a steering wheel hub in their car? Can I do this myself, is there anything I need to watch out for (ie. disconnecting / connecting the airbag)?

Many thanks!!

elliotts

If you want the steering wheel closer to you by adding a hub, you will almost definitely have to deactivate the airbag. The airbag unit is designed to deploy with a typical distance from the steering wheel to your face.:? I am not aware of any 'extension hub' that will allow activation of the airbag...

Best steering wheel for feel, relocation closer to you, and smaller diameter is the Porsche Motorsport Cup wheel... engraved "Porsche", with the Porsche crest horn, 330mm, closer to you through hub, suede covered, manufactured by Momo, but NO AIRBAG.

I have a 996 3.6 2002. I wasn't aware of the airbag problem. I have seen steering hubs for steering wheels with airbag but they might not be approved. Need to check that. You mention the distance to face but my OE steering wheel can be pushed in/pulled out. The distance is approx. 4cm. The hub will only add another 4cm.

Thanks for the link!

elliotts

indeed, the column goes in/out, but I'm not sure what the effect is of the airbag being an extra 4cm closer... not sure I want to find out either when the thing deploys at some insane speed...!

I think the airbag deploys at something like 200+mph? Someone in the know can probably correct me though... I had a friend who broke his nose when the airbag hit his face... better than a lacerated head though I suppose...

True not a nice thing to happen. However, I am not sure about hub / distance thing. Some people sit closer / further plus the adjustable steering wheel column. So I am assuming adding a steering hub should not make a difference. Still would like to find out if there are any safety implications. Maybe someone has installed a hub with AB?
elliotts

I'd be careful trying to remove it and I would probably seek expert help.

It is a pyrotechnic device after all and only needs a slight electrical charge to set it off once the safety system is disconnected from it and the wheel removed.

:shock:

unless your racing ie helmet,stick with the air bag type steering wheel.
Iam a fire bobby,seen a few air bag senario`s and a great beliver that air bags save very many a hero, and save a lot of family hassle. fact.
just thought i mention it. sorry to be a party pooper.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back