Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Trackday Hockenheim GP Circuit, Germany Sun 1st Jul

n577975579_676295_410.jpg

Hockenheim is an AWESOME track, fast fast and fast and a complete brake killer, OMG this defines heavy on the brakes and then some. A big thanks to Detlev of the GT3club for organising the event with the Pistenclub, very efficiently run.

Arriving to rows of 997 RS's (orange in the majority), then mostly 996 GT3's and of course some nutter in a 964 Cup. A few with some interesting mod's although a fair few 996 GT3's had the 997 GT3 rear PU installed. Drivers briefing was 'brief' with a short English version for us after they had pointed out the Brits (note, room goes quiet for a moment as everyone looks in our direction). Trackday rules follows RMA rules (although my 1st experience) where you can pass on both sides which works so much better.

Classic moment when we asked the chief instructor if they had cones on the circuit to indicate turn in points, the reply, "hhhhmmmmmmm, ya that's a good idea, maybe we do that"

1st off we had a photo opp', 6 GT3's (me and Ade) and Smtk's
993 TT, all 50 GT3's (plus a few other non-GT3 996') parked up on the track on the stadium complex, then it was pretty much time to go. The circuit clearly follows the German need for speed, although not as technical as many of the UK circuits it is fast, in terms of Brands GP fast and then some, and I mean really fast with the width of Silverstone and the bonus of huge tarmac run off areas in 'most' places, rather than grass of gravel traps, that does inspire some more confidence to get on it.

The lines were quite easy to learn and as soon as I figured out how to take more kerb it gets really fast. A short session with one of their instructors helped with some of the turn in points and how flat my foot needs to be to the floor! Although one of the German instructors didn't do a cooling down laps in Smtk's 993 TT when he drove his car to show him the lines and came directly in with the brakes almost smoking, then went out on a cool down lap, just in time!

With my camcorder on, I spent most of the time out in convoy's of 7 RS's then following Olaf around in his Mk1, with the quickest cars on the morning being a pair of 6 RS's. Weather was really hot and dry and even with Alcon's, RS29's and SRF fluid the brakes got a pounding like never before, with the 2 very heavy braking zones especially the one at the back hairpin where you come flat down the Parabolika almost hitting the rev limit in 4th or into 5th and keep going briefly before down to 2nd, then almost flat again all the way till turn 6. The stadium section is the best part, flowing in and all the around the Sachs bend, more technical on the last 2 corners Sudcurve all the way through to the 1st corner Nordkurve taking a huge amount of kerb on the run down to turn 2, which is far more fun that Copse at Silverstone.

I managed to spin once coming out of the back hairpin, just a bit too early on the power and when I get through all the video tapes that I've got that will be one line eventually, as with the rest of the laps.

Personally I found the morning at Hockenheim was more fun than the Manthey Nurburgring trackday on the Friday, as in fairness it was a new track and 1st experience. Completely different to any other circuit, seriously fast with sizeable run off areas in the company of GT3's made this a top experience, certainly worth a revisit.

It's a good 6 hours 400 miles from Calais/Dunkirque, with with an awesome road trip in great company, that's what is all about.

A return in 2008 is on the cards.

First couple laps at Hockenheim! (must get out of 3rd gear next time!)

:D

Sundeep - do you have the chase cam vid?

:twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

:twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

Sundeep said:

There is something wonderfully playful about the decal on this car. i really like it.

smtk said:
the perspective of the shadow?

correct - that and the placement on the car.

John, just remembered I owe you a PM.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back