Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996- Accelerator/brake

Robertb

Yas Marina
Noticed an odd thing about my C4S;

If you apply the brakes and accelerator at the same time (e.g to dry the brake discs in the wet) then the power is cut until you release the brake again.

It also happens if you try the same thing coasting in neutral.

It presumably also affects the ability to heel and toe, but I haven't tested that yet.

Is it a fault with my car, or is there a reason for it?

Thanks

R.

Its not just yours. I used a 997 for weekend from the dealers and it did the same. I was trying to dry the brakes off as I do in my car after washing,by driving with my left foot on the brake for a short distance-but the car stopped!

Sounds very strange, find it hard to believe Porsche would produce a car that you can't heel and toe in, my 996 C2 is nicely set up for it.

Its because the later 911's have a 'Drive By Wire' system.. IE- When you touch the brake it cuts power to the engine.
The older 911's have the standard 'cable'.

And I think.. The GT3 and Turbo (late 996 &997) has a drive by wire system that will allow both to be pressed.

All 996 C4s have eGas and heel/toeing works for me.

When trying to dry the brakes on my 996 C4s it too cuts the power. Cant say it makes any difference to normal driving as im not a master of the heel & toe.

I wonder what purpose it serves?

Heel and Toe has nothing to do with power being cut off if you press both the brake and accelerator.

Now if you were left foot braking whilst holding the throttle to balance the car that issue would manifest itself. The newer (as mentioned) 996/997 will not allow you to press them both at the same time, this includes the GT3 and Turbo.

Robertb said:
I wonder what purpose it serves?

To stop you stacking the car into the one in front when you accidentally 'cover' both pedals and press them both whilst emergency braking :)

damianc4s said:
Heel and Toe has nothing to do with power being cut off if you press both the brake and accelerator.
Excuse me if I'm misreading this but you need the accelerator 'working' whilst braking to h&t.

Chris_w said:
damianc4s said:
Excuse me if I'm misreading this but you need the accelerator 'working' whilst braking to h&t.

That was my thinking too- H&T means you are braking whilst blipping the throttle to rev-match whilst braking and down-changing into a corner. Should be irrelevant for road driving I accept, but still fun.

However, it would appear that dipping the clutch overrides the accelerator/brake cut-off so H&T is unaffected.

Robertb said:
Chris_w said:
damianc4s said:

That was my thinking too- H&T means you are braking whilst blipping the throttle to rev-match whilst braking and down-changing into a corner. Should be irrelevant for road driving I accept, but still fun.

However, it would appear that dipping the clutch overrides the accelerator/brake cut-off so H&T is unaffected.

Why do you think I said it then? :(

Just go out for a drive and have a play :)

damianc4s said:
Just go out for a drive and have a play :)

Suspect we're all saying the same thing in different ways... so, anyone want to lend me a car with eGas to play with?!? :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back