Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

12-13k a realistic budget ?

Hi there,

Im on a quest to buy my first porsche. I've decided between two models - a 968 or a 911/964.

The 968 is the rationale choice. For this money, even a bit less, you can get a good one. Plus I like the car.

The 964 is a dream for me. I really cant strech anymore the budget, being 13,000 the tops. Is it doable a good 964 at this price or just lemons ? I really dont mind ( even prefer ) a LHD car. I just want to avoid guards red or alpine white, a good dark colour would suit me. Would prefer a coupe, but targa and cabrio would be ok too.

Show I quit the dream of chasing a 964 for this money and stick with a good 968 CS or can it be done ? Im quite uninformed about 911, im trying to read as much as I can so any good tips and places to good at when viewing a car?

All opinions count !

Cheers,

Goncalo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141152

Goncalo,

Trust me it can be done. There are lots of LHD 964's for that kind of money.

The key is to be patient and look at plenty of cars, they vary in condition and but be choosy.

Have a look at
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
there is a buyers Guide written by Phil Raby.

Good luck

Simon

964 C4 LHD

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141155

Hi Goncalo, I bought a LHD 91C2 for a smidgeon over 13K just over 6 months ago. Haven't look back since - it's fantastic. I'm budgeting 1.5K/year for servicing, repairs, upgrades, etc. As simon says (!), the key is to look at as many as possible - given time and an educated eye, you'll find your car no problem (it took me 7 months though!).

Cheers

Andrew

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141158

I agree with everything that has been said above.

Mine actually cost less that your budget and it's RHD. It needed tidying up (and has been) but it's a gem :)
. You just need to keep looking until you find the right one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141261

You should be able to find a RHD 964 with that budget but it may be long on miles. But then so are quite a few 968's now.

964's can suffer from oil leaks and I was told by a lot of dealers to stay clear of them but I bet there's some good VFM cars out there.

I've never owned one but have heard Very good things about the 968. With your budget, I'd be tempted to look for an A1 version because you're more likely to get most of the money back. And they are supposed to be Great Fun. Rear transmission and cam belts are the week spots from memory.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141269

i really dont mind about being LHD, I even prefer as I said. Although i live in UK for some years, I come from a LHD country, so will be fine.

What is an acceptable milage for a 964 used ? I know the saying that goes "better a high milage care taken cared of regulary than a low milage that never goes to the shop" .

Is 100/130k ok ? After than engine rebuild is a must ? Really hard to find decent 964's within my budget with a darker colour and below 100k miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141600

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Goncalo Proenca on 14 May 2007

i really dont mind about being LHD, I even prefer as I said. Although i live in UK for some years, I come from a LHD country, so will be fine.What is an acceptable milage for a 964 used ? I know the saying that goes "better a high milage care taken cared of regulary than a low milage that never goes to the shop" .Is 100/130k ok ? After than engine rebuild is a must ? Really hard to find decent 964's within my budget with a darker colour and below 100k miles.
I bought mine with 150K on the clock. It had a small top end rebuild at 125K. There is no absolute definition of what a top end rebuild should consist of. People spend anywhere between £2.5K and £7K on their rebuilds depending on what they have done. There's no absolute mileage of when it has to be done.

Cars that have done less than 100K are unlikely to have had a rebuild. And as the cars are a minimum of 15 years old, sub 100K milers are hard to find and as you've seen are priced strong. Personally I think high mileage is not an issue with these cars and I know of quite a few from Rennlist that are 200K+ milers and still going strong.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141620

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Goncalo Proenca on 14 May 2007

i really dont mind about being LHD, I even prefer as I said. Although i live in UK for some years, I come from a LHD country, so will be fine.What is an acceptable milage for a 964 used ? I know the saying that goes "better a high milage care taken cared of regulary than a low milage that never goes to the shop" .Is 100/130k ok ? After than engine rebuild is a must ? Really hard to find decent 964's within my budget with a darker colour and below 100k miles.
My advice would be buy on condition, rather than mileage - good luck with your quest!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142063

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back