Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help-my engine check light is on!

john breslin

My 3.4 996 C4S has been wonderfully reliable but yesterday started to smell a little sulfurous and today the "check engine" light came on... Is this something I can fix myself?
It seems to run OK but will driving cause any serious damage??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140890

Is it on or flashing?

Mine has only come on once and it was a MAF sensor. Easy fix. Also coil packs can cause this, again an easy fix, but you would notice the loss of power. I would go straight to an OPC to get it identified.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140906

I would go to the nearest OPC at your earliest convenience to get it checked out for sure.....mine came on the other week and was reset after a diagnoses revealed a small amount of dodgy fuel....since then it's not come back on and been serviced and all is well :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140909

Thanks for the advice! Another trip to Autofarm....

BTW: The official diagnostic tool is really expensive, is there a cheap and cheerful generic diagnostic tool that would at least allow you to read this stuff off?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141042

oops, meant to say that the light is on all the time suggesting emission issues. The engine runs fine with no misfiring, just that eggy smell on start-up...... :evil:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141043

sounds like the cat' has a problem

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141051

The nice man from the AA popped in and put his diagnostic thingy on,read the error as the mass flow unit. He reset the error, disconnected and reconnected the cables, restarted and it was all OK!!

I thought these things reset.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141084

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back