Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Wheel Refurb advice

Bill Smith

Trainee
I finally bit the bullet and after many years lusting after a 911, bought a '99 996 C4.

It's a lovely car, but the GT3 alloys on it have corroded really badly on the outer rims, which really lets it down. The PPI described the condition as 'disappointing Porsche quality'! Not a surpising comment as they were bought in Nov 03.

I suspect this is not an uncommon problem, and was wondering what experience other members have had with refurbishing them.

I use the car on a daily basis, so I need a finish that not only looks good but is durable

Bill

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140470

Fine, refurb will bring them back to 1st class which is what you want, but alloys are always are risk to the elements esp those with complex designs

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140473

Hi Bill,

Apart from anodising, it's common to paint the outer rims. Lepsons take this approach, and the results are good.

Welcome to 911uk! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140491

Bill - Tony ***** on the forum has just been through the same experience and did a good write up on it. It is in the GT section.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140506

A1 alloy wheels in wolverhampton have done my wheels for the last couple of years

and you get diamond tuned laquered edges NOT painted ones

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140513

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 09 May 2007
A1 alloy wheels in wolverhampton have done my wheels for the last couple of years
and you get diamond tuned laquered edges NOT painted ones

Diamond turned lacquered rims are bad for 2 reasons imho:

1) the rims are thinner and look flattened because alloy is physically removed, and the rim loses the natural curve

2) lacquering is prone to water ingress. It is only a matter of very short time before the lacquer needs to be redone.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140553

Thanks for your feedback guys.

From what I have heard from here and elsewhere is that although polishing or diamond turning and clear lacquer looks great, it durability is questionable, as born out by the original finish. Plus my rims are so bad I think it would take a lot of material removal to get them back to fresh alloy.

I am leaning towards the powder coat route, as from my experience with kart chassis and the like is that it will last. I will check out Tony ***** write up, and check out Lepsons, as I have have heard good things about them.

I'll post some before and after pics of my experience.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140599

Its a shame to lose the polished rim but a necessary evil imo. I've two sets of mk1 GT3 split rims - one set original and crappy but with some really nice shiny bits of rim here and there (rear wheels aint in such bad nick), and a second set which have been refurbed and shiny rims aside look about 10 times better than the originals.

Afraid I have to agree that painting is the only way to get any stamina out of the coating. These bloody wheels just love to acrue crap in the split rim which hold the moisture etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140613

100% agree with the lacquering comments.

If you do decide to powder coat, you could always go light graphite grey on the centre/spokes and silver on the outer rim. Might look good depending on the paint colour of your car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140621

Hi Asim

My car is Ocean Blue, so your colour suggestion sounds like a good option, and similar to what they are as standard. I think it's worth keeping the outer rims a lighter shade of silver as aesthetically this will emphasise the diameter of the wheel.

In the long term I am going to look out for some Turbo alloys, as I prefer the style, so do not want to stray too far from standard, as the GT3s may prove more difficult to sell

Bill

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140691

Bill, I reckon that'll look quite smart then!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140695

just a thought, as i'm sure my powdercoat people do it...

can you not get them polished \ diamond turned, get the inners powder coated in the colour you want, have them reassembled then get them re powder coated with the a lacquer coat? PC lacquer is much more durable than paint...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140987

Take any finish (powder coat/paint/anodise) but don't diamond turn! It's a cheap and crude way of wheel refurbing that only weakens the wheel by removing alloy.

If a wheel has been badly kerbed, I would get the wheel bead blasted or chemically stripped (depends on the underlying alloy) to remove the outer finish, then additional alloy can be welded in to fill the kerb rash. Finish with your PC/paint/anodisation of your choice.

If the wheels are being painted, make sure they are properly baked - not just air dried.

This process is more time consuming and cannot be done by mobile wheel refurbers, but it produces a much better factory finish that is also more resilient.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141006

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back