Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Type of Petrol

cambsguy

Spa-Francorchamps
Hello all, thanks again for the warm welcome onto this site.. just bought my 1st Porsche 996 c4, and was wandering what petrol should I use the basic unleaded or the premium one?

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/911d(1).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140463

meant to say wondering.,.. spilling note mi stroong point

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140465

I think the official recomendation is "Super" Unleaded - i.e not the 95 RON stuff. However, if you put the 95 RON in then a knock-sensor will retard the ignition to ensure no harm is done.

I'm quite new myself, but have tried my TT on both and it runs fine. I think the super unleaded appears to make it run a bit better (Both economy and power) but that may be down to me hoping it does!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140467

Stick the best in you can find....it's no major problem if you don't use the 99Ron, but would seem odd to spend so much on such a car & then save a few pence/litre on fuel.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140468

I use Shell V-Power.... 98Ron + is recommended in the handbook although they will run safely on std unleaded. The ECU adapts and there is anti-knock technology built in. Using a higher rated fuel will give you a little crisper accelleration.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140469

Vpower - it makes a difference and is better for the engine. Plus in an average year probably only costs an extra £70.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140471

As mentioned, you should always use super unleaded for optimal, that's what it says on the filler cap,

and the reality is that regular unleaded may be cheaper but you get less miles per gallon, whereas superleaded is more expensive but you get more miles to the gallon, and if you do an actual test of distance and cost, pund for pound you get more from superunleaded by about 2-4% overall !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140480

Wot they say^^^^^^^

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140483

The main thing about the uber-fuels is the additives which clean and protect the engine etc as well as providing enough octanes to keep the ecu fully advanced.

Really, the difference in cost over typical mileage is neither here nor there in the scheme of Porsche ownership!

However, the car will of course run fine on boggo fuel if needs be.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140544

Its in the manual and on the filler cover on the 993. Use 98 RON.

If you get stuck in the countryside and can only get 95 then use that as a get you home - then fill up with 98. What they all said above is spot on.

Shell V-power is the fuel of choice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140549

Tesco super is 99 RON - not sure if it is any cheaper than V Power but it should be. I think EVO mag did a fuel test of some kind and Tesco 99 came out on top I seem to remember

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140667

Wasn't Tesco one of the contaminated fuels recently that caused expensive damage to engines?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140671

That was the 95 RON. SUper unleaded 99 wasn't effected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140675

Well I'm a chav so mine gets Tesco's 99 every time....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 140679

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back