Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Attn Stevo - 3.2 Heating

supersport

Suzuka
John,

I was just looking at a recent post of yours about the things that you fixed on your 3.2. You said you oiled the front foot well heater fans, and this stopped you getting hot when the heating didn't go off.

I have that same problem, and gets a little on the hot side, but having done some research, the perceived wisdom seems to be that the flapper boxes at the rear are the cause of this. But mine have been checed and they are opening and closing correctly.

I do have one of these fans that is dead, but I don't understand how this causes the heating to keep pumping out heat when its off.

I so have to get this fixed before the summer, and Le Mans, last year was un bearable in the heat wave.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135007

John,

I too had the same heating problem. No one could tell me what caused it. I checked everything, then realised the purpose of the flappers. When the butterflys on the rear heating ducts are open, then the flaps should be closed, which diverts the heat out thro the butterfly. You can insert a finger and press the flapper, if there is movement, then I would suggest this is the problem, the flaps are not closing and the heat is getting passed the flap(s). Lubricate it well and ensure it travels freely.

Rgds JT

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135016

My front footwell fan motors were slow and noisy and I oiled them - no problem to do and replace. The heat I had on a July day from the right hand footwell nearly fried me on a 200 mile trip from Manchester. The butterfly dump valves were the culprit - they were replaced - which allows the heat out when its not needed.

Rear fan - left side of engine compartment - check that this operates - the fuse is in a small bank on the left hand side bulkhead in clear sight.This fan blows air through the heat exchangers.
Dashboard temperature sensor - little holes with a small fan behind that switches off the heat when the required setting is reached by opening Butterfly valves visible under the car forward of the rear wheel arches - operated by the heat on - off lever on the dash via shrouded cables - these let the hot air escape to the underside of the car when the required temp is reached..

If these butterflies open and close as they should then it is likely to be either the temp sensor or the flap valves.
I agree with John above that the flaps the next step to check.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135048

Cheers, John - that explanation makes a lot more sense, and is in line with what I was thinking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135058

Mark... I have exactly the same problem. Not too bad when the roof is off, but legs start to melt sat in traffic or with the roof on.

Will have a look at the weekend and see if I can sort.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135128

My heating system seems ok.

Noticed today after the rain, water running down right hand side of the dashboard only a little though. :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135142

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back