Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

purchase privately then OPC warranty?

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Martyn Iles on 13 April 2007

OK, I'm a little confused on the value of PPI and OPC check - surely if I've had the OPC check and paid for the warranty then I'm "pretty much covered"?

Of course, I guess that does depend on how comprehensive the warranty is! I know the warranty on my 5-series was excellent no questions asked, however the Lotus main dealer warranty on my Elise was far less so (had to argue like bloody mad to get them cover HGF caused by a radiator failure).

At 800 quid, I would assume its pretty much everything except brakes/clutch/tyres that are worn out, or am I assuming too much?
Not necessarily, as mentioned above there are all sorts of things that a warranty won't cover you for. For example if a car has had a major shunt, you will still get a warranty, but the car itself may not be sound. One of the guys on here bought a GT3 complete with all the warranties & 111pt check from an OPC, didn;t get a PPI & subsequently found he had a dog. Fortunately the OPC agreed to take the car back. He might not have been so fortunate. It's reasonable to assume the more thorough PPI would have picked this up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132410

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 12 April 2007

Paint gauge means nothing

Every car in a main dealers show room has had the front end repainted for stone chips, modern water based paints chip so easily

You need to get a car on a ramp to find the things you need to look for
We'll agree to disagree then. Paint meters don't work on plastic anyway so what you mention is irrelevant. They are useful for checking quality of re-painting if any has been done and also are a visual indication to the seller should he disagree with a view that a panel may have been resprayed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132418

I suggest you employ Peter Morgan to carry out a full PPI. If the car passes Peter's inspection it should pass an official 111 point check with flying colours.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133036

Or have word with the guy who runs total 911 he will point you in the right direction for an inpection. (i think he's called Phil or Chris Robey) I had an inspection before talking price with the private seller. There was only a boot bulb gone on a 6.5 year old car 996 c4. I then rang the local OPC who knew the car & they said i could update the warranty when the car was due a service. Due to the low millage they said no 111 was needed. The car has been a joy & i have piece of mind .

Better then buying from an OPc & getting spanked

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133617

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back