Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

500 mile Easter round trip

Maxie

Yas Marina
I've had my Targa now for 5 weeks and I have already clocked up 900 miles in it! The last 500 were done over the easter weekend as I went up North to stay at my parents. Well, what can i say....WOW!! It really is an exceptional all round package; I had a small suitcase in the front boot and the rear 'hatch' was so accessible at taking things in and out of the parcel shelf (I wonder why Porsche doesn't make this an option on the Carreras).

I left most cars for dead on the M1, the torque in 6th is amazing and there is no need to change down. On motorways and dual carriageways, yes it's fine and fast, so no faults there; on the winding country lanes after coming off J38 of the M1 I initially took it easy as I am still afraid of the pendulum effects on these cars. But returning to London, I was being tailed by an Audi A3 Sportline who was itching to get past when I just floored it around a roundabout and guess what...? the car stuck like glue! I have to say I was trembling at first as I was scared I might lose it but after that manoevre, I left the A3 far behind! I don't usually drive like that but knowing how the car performed and handled at that moment has boosted my confidence no end.

For the whole trip I averaged 27.7mpg with a top speed of 115 (is that km/h or mph :wink:
officer?). Either way, the Road Angel was on. The only negatives I am encountering is a squeaky noise either coming from my seat or the roof. All in all, I am driving a unique experience and feel extremely privileged to do so.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131392

Previous poster said:
Quote: The only negatives I am encountering is a squeaky noise either coming from my seat or the roof. All in all, I am driving a unique experience and feel extremely privileged to do so.
~ Maxie

Get yourself a tube of silicone grease, it will sort that out in minutes. Targa's should come with a little clip in the glove box to hold one, it is the essential acessory.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131394

Great stuff Maxie, hope you get many more 100's of miles of enjoyment. I agree about the rear hatch design on the Targa, it's fantastic for practicality.

With regard to your confidence in it's handling, you will need to be a complete plonker to lose it in the dry, especially in a 996.

As for learning the limits of the car, it's worth going on a few track days or get some tuition from a racing school. You'll really enjoy the car then!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131397

Glad to hear you're enjoying it...

I've done nearly 3500 miles in mine in 6 weeks!

911s have astonishing traction under power out of bends, you would be very unlucky to lose control, but as Asim says, get yourself on a driver training day which will improve your confidence no end.

As an aside, I was following a truck this morning on a busy a-road for some time, and was amazed to see I'd averaged 35mpg (albeit briefly)! Hybrid?? Pah...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131414

Picking up the point on traction, I have an EVO which has unbelievable grip (4wd, AYC, ACD etc) I have pushed my c2 really hard in both second and third out of bends to try and make it slide (dry conditions!!). In the end it did start to slide, but only after trying on purpose. I think with general but spirited fast driving in the dry, its grip levels are not far short if not equal to the EVO.... astonishing but true. Of course the wet is a different story...lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131549

Thanks for your feedback guys. The comments about grip are encouraging - especially if compared to something like an Evo, Roadhog, I would never have thought a 911 being talked about comparatively in terms of grip against such a car.

Robertb - 3500 miles in 6 weeks is amazing, you must have a smile that looks as though it was surgically implanted on your face!

Asim - not sure if I want to risk my car on a track yet - I would pay to use a different car (such as one beloinging to the driving school in the first place). At the moment, my car is still a novelty to me :D

SeanD - where exactly do you apply the silicone grease? I bought some Silicone spray the other day - will that do?

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131571

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxie Islam on 10 April 2007

Robertb - 3500 miles in 6 weeks is amazing, you must have a smile that looks as though it was surgically implanted on your face!

Asim - not sure if I want to risk my car on a track yet - I would pay to use a different car (such as one beloinging to the driving school in the first place). At the moment, my car is still a novelty to me :D

~ Maxie
It is certainly true to say that friends now nod knowingly when I say I actually really look forward to my 1.5hr commute!

Re track days- I've been on a couple of driver training days where you get more or less exclusive use of a proving ground to drive up to and beyond the car's limits. I've not tried it with my current Porsche yet, but certainly with my old 3.2 I felt much happier driving it (as you realise just how high the limits are in a road context) after the course as you get to know far better how it feels. But at no point did I feel that the track use was 'straining' the car as the training was done with road use in mind. On one I didn't even have a helmet.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131746

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnxl1s
Back