Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Carerra 4 or 2 for driveability and r

AdrianGraham2007

Hi everyone,

So, I drove my first 911 last night, a 1990 964 Carerra 2. Wow! It seems faster then my Honda S2000, and for a 17 year old motor it blew my socks off. Infact, it would leave most modern motors in the shade! I loved it and am hooked.... so the Honda is going and the 964 hunt beings. However, I am told that the Carerra 4 might be more expensive to run (from a things-going-wrong perspective). Would anyone agree with that? What would you folk consider as a better bet for a 1st timer who does not want too much to go wrong as he starts his life of Porsche ownership!

Cheers as always,

Adrian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124855

a 4wd has a 4wd system in place so a bit more to service

although a 4wd 964 would be more planted on the road

test drive a C4 to see

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124964

I would have thought that the extra cost in servicing a C4 over C2 would pale into insignificance over the difference between buying a 'tidy' or not 964. So if you have a preference after driving both then find the best you can.

If you don't have a preference then all the better - you have more to choose from! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126042

I had this dilema when I was looking. Service costs are a little more for a c4 and a think a clutch change will cost more with labour. But then the advantage comes when the roads are icy! I doubt you would take it out if its just a weekend car though.

However, as above if the right car comes up dont worry if it is a c2 or a c4. If its a good 'un get it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126055

Like the others say, find a good one and then worry if it's a 2 or 4.

p.s. Adrian, you had better buy one now after starting 8 threads in a row :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126107

You'll have to try both and decide. For me it's always been and always will be 2WD only no matter what model of Porsche I am buying. Probably old fashioned but as I say it's a personal choice.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126108

Thanks all.... really appreciate it.... and sorry for all the threads in a row!! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126183

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back