Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is a GT2..........

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jay T on 12 March 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Gastro on 09 March 2007

Thanks everyone - some really good posts - very informative.I've had a test drive in a TT Tip and wasn't impressed.A manual X50 is needed me thinks !
Gastro, I'm hoping for a TT tip test drive soon, and I'd be interested to know what your thoughts were in a little more detail? Ta
JayT - Tip TT in manual mode is very entertaining (I thought so anyway); after the first two weeks of ownership, I don't think I ever used auto mode. In auto, you never quite seem to be in the gear that you really want and when you do 'kickdown', the car goes into orbit, which is not always what you want. Very easy to drive, lots of fun (bearing in mind that even in manual, it will change up before you hit/when you hit the rev limiter). It's very much horses for courses; take it for a drive (in my opinion, don't both with auto mode) and see what you think. It does take a bit of getting used, but I found the longer I had mine, the more I got used to it and enjoyed it. Having said all of that, the manual is much more engaging and less of a (very) fast automatic armchair.

Hope that helps! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124012

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by asim hassan on 09 March 2007

I had an encounter with a GT2 when I had a Nissan Skyline GTR with 380 hp, from 30mph he swept past me as if I was standing still....truely awesome speed.
Black GTR? Was the GT2 black? I remember having some fun with a GTR, I slowed a bit when he boosted up to my tail - thought it was a plod Q car! Mrs.Hog was asleep in the passenger seat and didn't notice a thing.

997TT is great for every day but uninvolving - if you like tabsco sauce on your eggs then a GT2 is for you! Agree the best Porsche for track days is a GT3.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124497

Cheers Ballast. Thats pretty much what I wanted to hear. They don't have one at my local OPC at the mo, but they have offered to get one in for me to try. Looking forward to it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124529

Just buy the GT2 my freind you will never look back i have had mine now far a few months and only drive it at most once a week but everytime i drive it WOW

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125321

Gastro. I use mine mostly on the weekends and have done several long trips. It is a perfect long distance car (mine is comfort spec), but also a blast for a short run to get the sensory nerve endings tingling. It is quite low at the front but you get used to what needs to be taken at an angle. I've not come across any speed bumps that it catches....yet and not lost the little plastic removeable gurney strip....yet. It is stiffly sprung but very well damped and not at all crashy....firm but not crashy. It is a completely different animal to the turbo, more focused and more thrilling. You need to be careful as it doesn't suffer fools gladly. I've driven it in some pretty cold and wet conditions including through a dusting of snow over the snake pass. Take it easy and the car is a pussycat. Take liberties and it will give you some warnings that it is about to let go (there are some, not lots but they are there) ignore these and it will rip your head off and ***** down your neck!!!! I have of course been caught out and have now developed big respect for the car.....straight line on dual carriageway, a little cold and greesy, full on wheelspin at 85mph+ in 3rd, back end stepped out and went sniffing out the lorry ruts. It didn't spin but required an armful of opposite lock which kind of focuses the mind. I'm sure it felt more dramatic and out of control than it really was, but i'm not a hero driver and have very little experience of controlling cars just beyond the limits, hence my history of rolling a boxster s into a field. I have felt the car squirm several times since and it is feeling more normal and less scary.

I bought the car because i loved it since it was first released. It was (and still is) the fastest 911 ever produced by Porsche and quite possibly the badest...in a good way if you know what i mean. I followed one for a short stretch on the way to le mans at normal speeds and i just loved the road presence of the car. It just looks so epic from behind with those 315 section rears, the chassis low slung and the rear spoiler. It was only travelling at 70mph but it didn't need to be going fast for it to scream road presence.....i just don't think you get that from a tt, gt3 yes.

So, for me it would always be a gt2(but i am biased) over the tt +/- x50, purely as it is ALWAYS an event to drive and you will ALWAYS need to concerntrate. The tt will be a quicker car on most roads in the uk on most days.....but not always and never as involving. It depends what compromises you are prepared to make to own a car like the GT2, just a bit of inside information though, the rewards are rich and you don't have to be risking your life to experience them. Plenty come at 0mph ;-)

WN

Editted to say that due to the rarity of the car when new, and now even more so for a straight honest car, investment into a GT2 is likely to be a safer investment than a TT?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126643

....i can't remember if anyone has already posted this but TOTAL911 magizine this month has a fantastic review of the 996 GT2.

WN

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126652

Welshnobby i could cry you sumed up the the GT2 beautifully and agree with all the things you say in fact i am sure your experiences are exactly the same has mine has i had a bit of a squirm on a motorway and nearly chewed through some wagons tyres

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127048

The GT2's at Oulton were really well driven and quicker than just about everything else on the track.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127052

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Just on 22 March 2007

Welshnobby i could cry you sumed up the the GT2 beautifully and agree with all the things you say in fact i am sure your experiences are exactly the same has mine has i had a bit of a squirm on a motorway and nearly chewed through some wagons tyres

That's just the car reminding you who is boss. I know my place!

Have you ever managed to park up and not take an admiring look back over your shoulder. I certainly haven't, infact i seam to be offering to unload the washing machine much more regularly these days just for an excuse to go into the garage for a cheeky gawp.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127063

Also when u have parked up somewhere and then walking back to the car you just caint beat that feeling when you see the car and think yes thats mine sitting so beautifully there and i caint wait to drive it back home. I thought it was just me who is a bit sad thanks welshnobby :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127293

... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127321

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back