Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 audio project ...

Navster

Hi All,

New to the forum and 996 ownership and must give a humble thank you first of all to the opinions\advice\experience of the membership, which was invaluable during my search and purchase. Have had my 996 C2 car for about a week now and allthough I love the engine noise, performance and quality of engineering am not inspired by Porsche's effort on the acoustics.

As such I have opened this thread in anticipation of it becoming a useful guide to my 996 audio project + member input. I am quite mindful of upgrading the acoustics so as not to add too much weight or interfere with the originality of the car and have the following in mind:1 x Purpose made acoustic shelf finished in black carpet 1 x Vibe Blackbox (2 x 50 W) stereo amplifier2 x Vibe QB69 (2 x 175W) speakers1 x Autoleads wiring kit1 x Pioneer DEH55BT

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/VIBE-BB1-QB69-DEAL.jpg

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/pioneer-dehp55bt.jpg
Have no plans on upgrading the standard front + rear speakers right now but think the stock Becker is somewhat lacking in features and feel the Pioneer blends well with the interior & digital dashboard format and saves me getting 3 points on my license for using the mobile phone.

The speakers and amplifier will be mounted to the underneath of the acoustic shelf, which by my maths should sit snugly behind the back seats on top of the existing set up, shall keep you all posted on my progress with pictures etc ...

Regards,

Nav

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118540

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your stereo mods!

I've got a pioneer stereo in my 993- it isn't really helped by the speakers but as you say, the style suits Porsches well.

I personally reckon you'd do better spending your money on a switchable sports exhaust! :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119708

Welcome to the forum,

I would also be interested in your efforts as I fancy a Sub/amp and better speakers to compliment my stereo in the GT3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119717

Hi,

A very warm welcome. My brother is a complete Hi-Fi nut. So picking his brains for modding my beast. Look forward to seeing your project and your thoughts on the results.

Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119746

Thank you very much for your warm welcome folks and apologies for forgetting to include project costs + time scales so as we can all have an appreciation of the outlay:

DIY acoustic shelf + carpet - circa £40Vibe speakers + amp + wiring - circa £160Pioneer head unit + iPod adaptor - circa £240Knuckle scrape DIY fitting time - circa 20 hours

I used to fit car audio as a side line for a friend's business about 5 years ago but am a bit rusty and nowhere near as fast as the pros. I'm now considering mounting the amp under the bonnet where the CD changer lives and would be grateful for any advice regarding the cable routing inside a 996. Also slightly concerned about the implications of the apparent battery problems the 996s have and would appreciate any opinions in this area too.

Ultimate aim of the project is a stealthy finish acoustic upgrade that should meet contemporary car audio + phone needs and keep people guessing where that lovely sound is coming from .... :D

All the best

Nav

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119807

I too will be interested in this one.

I've got a Japanese imported 911 which is completely the same car as a uk one except its got a radio that does like reading the UK radio stations ;-)

the presets are all different and it takes ages to find anything. CD changer is useful tho.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120177

I have a bit of a warning re the pioneer unit. I have one ( the one up in the range I think - not sure) The stereo is reasonable, the ipod connectivity great (I have the lead routed into the glovebox) THe only problem is the handsfree phone function.

It connects well every time but at anything over city speeds the road/wind/exhaust noise is so high that you turn the phone output so high that you get anoying feedback on the other end.

Of course in a 996 you should have less of a problem in this department than in my 964 but i'm not sure how much.

Good luck

W

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120181

The wire routing is nothing special.... especially if you have worked in this business before.

The same principals work on a Porsche too.... and you have to be extra careful not to damage anything... but you knew that already.You have to take out all these plastic covers at the rear end of your storage space.Then you can see the area around battery.Plenty room for routing your wires. I also used existing rubbergrommet down there , to feed the wires in to the cabin.

Under bonnet is the common place for mounting the amp(s).If not the only possibility.... That is where I mounted mine.

Some info & pics on this board too. Search previously posted mails here.

BTW : I did not replace my Becker , and to me it sounds OK.No I-POD feed though....

And good luck ! And be careful....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120363

The improvements are adding up... just received a small roll of proper carpet , should be perfect match for 996 tan carpet. Sub box going to be recovered.

Also got a tip from another source , of a HiFi carspeaker kit , that might suit 996 too!Parts are as follows :

- Seas 25 TAFN/G ( tweeter )

- Peerless V-line TG9FD 10-04 ( mid )

And also part of a kit is the mid bass ; Peerless 832513 , which I intend to leave out.Naturally there are some ( but not much ) bits & pieces , that you need to build up the crossover too.

Soon I should have 2 sets ready to be fitted & tested. One is the POLK EX2540 kit , and one is this DIY kit.I will keep you informed of the results , if I ever get them in my car....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121815

UPDATE !

Those guys who are still thinking of upgrading the factory speakers , I took my dashboard end speakers to home yesterday... and dismantled them. My wife thinks I am crazy...

To do the same type of modification/upgrade that "damianc4s" has done.

The woofer part is easy , just 3 screws holding it there. The tweeter is held in by 4 glue blobs.... gentle squeeze , and prying and POP they were out too. No permanent damage done , yet.

I started with this POLK EX2540 kit , cut out the mounting corners from woofers , and glued them in place.Also used silicone to fill any gaps or holes.Easy...

The tweeters in POLK kit were too big.I had to separate the tweeters from their mountingframes.By gently prying them loose. And then putting these tweeters in the 996 speaker grill openings.Again some glue needed.And they were also in place , so far so good.

No visible mods to outside , and I am pretty confident they will also fit inside the dashboard ends.Altough the magnets on woofers are a bit bigger... but the woofer itself is not much deeper.

Will continue installation today.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128604

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by eki912 on 28 March 2007
UPDATE !
Those guys who are still thinking of upgrading the factory speakers , I took my dashboard end speakers to home yesterday... and dismantled them. My wife thinks I am crazy...
To do the same type of modification/upgrade that "damianc4s" has done.
The woofer part is easy , just 3 screws holding it there. The tweeter is held in by 4 glue blobs.... gentle squeeze , and prying and POP they were out too. No permanent damage done , yet.
I started with this POLK EX2540 kit , cut out the mounting corners from woofers , and glued them in place.Also used silicone to fill any gaps or holes.Easy...
The tweeters in POLK kit were too big.I had to separate the tweeters from their mountingframes.By gently prying them loose. And then putting these tweeters in the 996 speaker grill openings.Again some glue needed.And they were also in place , so far so good.
No visible mods to outside , and I am pretty confident they will also fit inside the dashboard ends.Altough the magnets on woofers are a bit bigger... but the woofer itself is not much deeper.
Will continue installation today.

Good luck! It's not easy, but it's definitely worth it!!!!

The rears are easy, you've got so much depth to play with, it lures you into a false sense of security. The dash speakers are the difficult ones, very little room to get the unit into.

PS Don't forget to use some Dynamat Extreme, it helps dampen the enclosure and stops some annoying rattles that the lower frequency extension brings out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128612

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back