Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911T Y reg.

Carl

Sao Paulo
A 911T I think, for 10 years this car has sat on his drive. It is badged as a 911T but i'm not sure, going to have a look next week.

So far i've found out its an import LHD converted to a RHD, special rare porsche alloy wheels so he says. Every so often he runs the engine, so should be ok.

Well the main question is if its an import on Y plate is that the age of the car?

Also what size is the engine, is it any good for spares for mine, apparently its turbo bodied like mine!

Might be a good investment for about 2Kish.

Any advice guys?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117752

Y reg, possibly 1982 ??

but registration regulations have changed over the year

if you have the chassis number then that would reveal much more

got any pics ?

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117791

I think it was produced from 1969 to 1972.

The 911T had a 2.2 ltr engine and was the entry level model (there was an S and an E too). I think it was around 125bhp.

The car had carburettors and not the more advanced fuel injection. I thought it was narrow body only, but I may be wrong.

Are you sure it's a 911T - not a later model?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117796

if its an import,then its possibly older than Y-reg,and that ot would have gained its Y-suffix when it entered the country,I would have thought tho,that if it was badged 911T,would that not make it an early 70's pre-impact bumper n/a model?

also bizarrely enough,although the DVLA states that you can't make a car look newer by using a later number plate letter,for some reason known only to them imports get reg'd with the year they are imported into the country IIRC

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117798

Sound like it could be (sadly) one of the many pre impact cars that people tried to make look liike Turbos in the 80s (from the widebody comment anyway)

2k? Be surpised if it moved at all for that.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117810

The car I believe has had a lot of modifications since it enterd the country.

Its got tan interior not sure if its leather, the trouble is the facts are via a third party.

I was told the shell may be worth a Grand if any good, thinking of buying to break and keep engine and box if their any good.

Alloys, already wanted by third party for vw bus.

Its possible the engine and box may have been updated.

So may be worth a go?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117857

Shame it can't be got back to its original state.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117860

Should have pictures in next few days.

Also vehicle details.

It is metalic turquoise. eeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :roll:

So i'm told.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117861

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by carl stephens on 15 February 2007
So far i've found out its an import LHD converted to a RHD, special rare porsche alloy wheels so he says.
:eek:
Erm, not good news - to do the conversion properly requires REALLY cutting into the structure - it's a very dodgy operation and of the five or so I've seen over the years, only ONE of these was done properly. Most have been bodged and are either lethal or at best, will crab along the road and never line up properly.

As for 'special' alloy wheels, Gottis? Fisks? Fuchs? Cromags? Compomotives? If they're 'R' Fuchs, they're very valuable.

If you can get me a picture of them I can tell you what they are.

Previous poster said:
Quote: Every so often he runs the engine, so should be ok.

I helped a friend buy a '65 912 three weeks ago - had been in an underground garage since 1994 - we changed the oil, fitted a new battery and cleaned the petrol out - she passed her MOT straight away - the old 91x's were built like brick *!&* houses.

OIL, OIL, OIL is the mantra with the early engines - check the oil and check it again before running her up. If it's black - change it before you start her - with a NEW filter and sump gauze.

Previous poster said:
Quote: Well the main question is if its an import on Y plate is that the age of the car?

See my note at the bottom over how to decode the chassis number to tell the year.

I'm the PCGB Early 911 Register Secretary - and I've about 1,350 cars made between 1964 and 1974 on the register - probably 150 of these have later 'age related' plates applied - often if the car came in in say 1983, the DVLA in those days (remember, it was all done at the local offices then) didn't bother to consider what year the car was being declared as - so often they'd be issued with a plate, current for the year she was being registered in the UK.

It's not difficult to contact the VIP/13 department at DVLA in Swansea who will assist in obtaining a correct age plate - if that's what you wanted.

Previous poster said:
Quote: Also what size is the engine,

Poo's response was good (he's learning - "strong the force in that one is" :D
- the 'T' model was the 'entry level' 911 - with reduced engine performance and more 'humble' specification (14" wheels instead of 15" on the earliest for example) - however they're generally lighter and loads of fun.

T's were produced with 2.0ltr, 2.2 and 2.4 engines - 2.0ltr T, for the first year of production was 110bhp vs. 130bhp of the 'standard' 911's and 160bhp for the 'S', later 2.0ltrs became 125bhp - 2.2 the same (federalisation meant they were strangled), 2.4's 135bhp (from memory, don't hold me to it).

BUT, BUT American spec 125bhp 'T's were in fact 110bhp due to Federalisation - this is compared to the 160bhp of 'E's etc. So a US origin 'T' is generally worth considerably less.

Previous poster said:
Quote: is it any good for spares for mine, apparently its turbo bodied like mine!

Depends on how many original bits are left :D
- if it's a >'69 model year - the door pockets are £1,500 for a pair new - so if they're good, they're valuable. If it's earlier, other interior pieces are also desirable ('swan neck rear view mirror, seats etc) and therefore valuable - but condition with these parts is everything.

Previous poster said:
Quote: Might be a good investment for about 2Kish.
Any advice guys?

If you're going to keep it and restore it - a £2,000 bargain can turn into a £70,000 restoration bill - these early cars are VERY expensive to restore properly - and 'T's are generally worth less money than 'E's or 'S's of the same year. A friend bought a BEAUTIFUL 1969 2.0ltr 'T" before Christmas - had had £18,000 of body repairs and was MINT - they paid £15,995.

Post some pictures and I'll let you know what she's about.

If you can get the Chassis number, I can tell you in a jiff exactly what she was born as. as a guide, the chassis number would look like this:

1968 - chassis number format '118xxxxx'
1969 - chassis number format '119xxxxx'
1970 - chassis number format '911 0xx xxxx'
1971 - chassis number format '911 1xx xxxx'
1972 - chassis number format '911 2xx xxxx'
1973 - chassis number format '911 3xx xxxx'

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117921

I must say you guys know your stuff, cheers.

Should have more details next week.

Unless I can get over to him the weekend.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118033

Not had chance this week to see the T but will go this weekend :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120012

Just realised I made a mistake when I did the chassis number lists - it was late at night :oops:

1968 - chassis number format '118xxxxx'
1969 - chassis number format '119xxxxxx'
1970 - chassis number format '911 0xx xxxx'
1971 - chassis number format '911 1xx xxxx'
1972 - chassis number format '911 2xx xxxx'
1973 - chassis number format '911 3xx xxxx'

1969 has SIX digits after the 119 and the fourth digit would be a '1' for a 'T' ('2' for E and '3' for S).

A 1970 and 1971 'T' is identified by the fifth digit being a '1' ('2' for E and '3' for S).

For the 1972 and 1973 model years a 'T' is identified by the fifth digit being a '5' (for a 'Rest of World' spec engine) and '1' (for US lower spec engine) - as per earlier, '2' denotes E and '3' denotes S.

Sorry for the errors :oops:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120103

Thanks Philip going sunday for a look, may be buy.

If the boss lets me. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120243

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back