Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Cup air filter

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 February 2007
Actually Philip, Ade apologies in advance for veering from the original topic, could you describe the exhaust layout on the cup car - i'm curious to know if it is a straight through system or wheather there is any form of silencing?
And a more silly question, do they require cats?

From the 'Technical Manual' "Exhaust system with modified catalytic converter and silencer, 110 db(A) in accordance with the DMSB noise regulations"

There was an option for the '04 and '05 model year to have a 103db(A) modified system - but since UK circuits are either 98db or at most 101db when restricted, who cares! :eek: :D

The earlier cars had side exit exhausts and a completely different exhaust system close to the road cars, allowing silencing mods much more easily - my old '02 car was down to about 99db - but the '04 and '05 cars are completely Motec based - NOT Motronic - so the 'tuning' of the air intake and exhaust is much more finely balanced.

I'll get a photo of the underside of the system when she's next on airjacks in a week or so, if you're interested.

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116961

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 February 2007Won't be many in that condition, cup can get a bit like dodgems from footage i've seen!

Yep - as far as I know she is the ONLY undamaged '05 car remaining - Porsche Cars imported only three for the '05 season (Supercup had already gone to 997 Cup) - the Tim Harvey car met it's end very early on in the season and the Porsche Cars Guest car was, from memory, destroyed at a Brit Car round after the season ended, at Brands. May be wrong on the event - but I'm sure it was at Brands.

A friend went to look at another '05 - supposedly never raced (haha) and modified to road specs, in Germany over the weekend - suffice to say not a lot of the description was true :D

[quote:af2FevTdZS="Previous poster"]Quote: Is there quite a noticeable diference in the gearing from your road GT3? I've read a fair bit recently on the merits of fitting the cup's crown pinion etc. to reduce the gearing.
And these pipes, are they straight throughs?
[/quote]

Yes the gearing is completely different - Tim Chandler (timbo on PCGB) has modified his RS to be basically a Cup car back end - Cup diff, gear ratios, etc. He loves it aparently. If you're going to track a GT3 heavily - and still need it road registered - this seems to me to be the only logical answer.The Cup is much more 'sprint' oriented - the road car much more relaxed. The road car has much longer legs and will hit a higher top speed from memory, but the Cup car will get there quicker.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116965

Thanks for the info and I'd definately be interested in a pic of the underside, cheers Philip.

I've read of Tim's heavily modded RS on Titanic, quite a length he's gone / going to!

I believe your friend may post there to as i read of womeone abandoning the hunt for a cup car and taking up a 97GT3RS instead.

Not sure if the lower gearing would cause too much disruption on a roadgoing 3 as i find mine to be a bit long geared for road use anyway. I believe that the top speed is reduced to around 175mph but that's hardly a concern if you're getting up there much quicker!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116974

Previous poster said:
Thanks for the info and I'd definately be interested in a pic of the underside, cheers Philip.
I've read of Tim's heavily modded RS on Titanic, quite a length he's gone / going to!

I think the Carbon Wheels were the last things I heard had gone on :D

[quote:sCsNN8JyC3="Previous poster"]Quote: I believe your friend may post there to as i read of womeone abandoning the hunt for a cup car and taking up a 97GT3RS instead.

Nope - must be someone else - my mates looking for a Cup car only.

The market for them is getting busy - I've had two unsolicited offers for mine and it's not for sale!

Previous poster said:
Quote: Not sure if the lower gearing would cause too much disruption on a roadgoing 3 as i find mine to be a bit long geared for road use anyway. I believe that the top speed is reduced to around 175mph but that's hardly a concern if you're getting up there much quicker!

Agreed - Anyone who's worried about loosing the last 20mph of top end needs therapy :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116977

Must have been a few suitors for the German cup car then, two non purchasers so far.

Must make an excellent trackday car, esp. now that the values are comparable with road cars. Considering that some people trailer their 96RSs to trackdays, you'd think the cup car would give a bit more entertainment for similar costs?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116985

Previous poster said:
Must make an excellent trackday car, esp. now that the values are comparable with road cars. Considering that some people trailer their 96RSs to trackdays, you'd think the cup car would give a bit more entertainment for similar costs?!

Yes and no - they require careful care and feeding - so you need someone who really understands them looking after them - the geo really needs bar checking after every outing and they eat slicks like Homer Simpson eats pies :D
. If you have an off, you're on the Biesbarth before you go our again.

You can be into a Mk.1 Cup car for in the twenties now - but you can bank on an engine and gearbox rebuild at around £15k plus vat - the 2002's owards are still mid 30's, with the '04s into 50's - I wouldn't sell my '05 for less than mid '60s - they were just shy of £100k when new - so a road car is still cheaper.

In terms of driving experience, nothing gets close on the track - they take some time to master but once you've got used to them there's no better drug 8)

In all honesty, anyone thinking about a Cup car really wants to join together with a mate or two and pay for a race team to bring it to track - the smallest thing - which a race mechanic can fix in 10 minutes - can put an end to a trackday with several hours left to run - it's just easier and in the long run, more cost effective to be looked after.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116991

When you said 'on the Biesbarth' after an off i presumed it was a German beer i have yet to try but google has enlightened me on it being the alignment machine, how disappointing! :wink:

I suppose it's easy to think that the earlier cup cars are 'cheap' without taking into account their appetite for maintenance etc. It's all conjecture from my point of view anyway but its interesting to hear of the associated costs over and above the expected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117000

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 13 February 2007

Yes and no - they require careful care and feeding - so you need someone who really understands them looking after them - the geo really needs bar checking after every outing and they eat slicks like Homer Simpson eats pies :D
. If you have an off, you're on the Biesbarth before you go our again.You can be into a Mk.1 Cup car for in the twenties now - but you can bank on an engine and gearbox rebuild at around £15k plus vat - the 2002's owards are still mid 30's, with the '04s into 50's - I wouldn't sell my '05 for less than mid '60s - they were just shy of £100k when new - so a road car is still cheaper.In terms of driving experience, nothing gets close on the track - they take some time to master but once you've got used to them there's no better drug 8)
In all honesty, anyone thinking about a Cup car really wants to join together with a mate or two and pay for a race team to bring it to track - the smallest thing - which a race mechanic can fix in 10 minutes - can put an end to a trackday with several hours left to run - it's just easier and in the long run, more cost effective to be looked after.Philip

an interesting post, I know what you mean about mechanic support at TD's

How much mech stuff do youself on your own Cup Car ? own aligment tools ? and would we ever see that on a TD during this year ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117002

Who thinks the next 911uk meet should not be at the ACE cafe but at pmjt's porsche candy shop (sorry i mean house)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117013

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 13 February 2007

Who thinks the next 911uk meet should not be at the ACE cafe but at pmjt's porsche candy shop (sorry i mean house)

I'm up for it - it's closer!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117020

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 13 February 2007
Biesbarth? Hunter is the way forward.

One's German, one's American - one's factory supported and specified - the other ain't :wink:
[/quote]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117026

Previous poster said:
When you said 'on the Biesbarth' after an off i presumed it was a German beer i have yet to try but google has enlightened me on it being the alignment machine, how disappointing! :wink:

I suppose it's easy to think that the earlier cup cars are 'cheap' without taking into account their appetite for maintenance etc. It's all conjecture from my point of view anyway but its interesting to hear of the associated costs over and above the expected.

All race cars are basically the same - the more you make them highly strung for track / race work, the less well they can deal with the knocks of road use.

Race cars and road cars really are very different beasts.

Sadly not German beer - although always a good idea :D

http://www.beissbarth.co.uk/

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117029

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 13 February 2007
an interesting post, I know what you mean about mechanic support at TD's
How much mech stuff do youself on your own Cup Car ? own aligment tools ? and would we ever see that on a TD during this year ?
[/quote:CEAIEd22bt]

Very, very little on the Cup car - I don't trust myself - Redline Racing have always looked after her since she was collected from Weissach.

I'll change the harnesses / wheels / battery etc - but it's just not worth having something give out when you're on the edge - the cornering forces are way higher than on a road car - so the risk is much, much higher.

Trackdays - yes, I'm an RMA Paddock Club Member :oops:
not cheap - but when you compare it to the amount of tracktime you get (a friend was out on Donnington for half an hour with NOTHING else on track last year!) it's cheap really - with open pit lane and only 100 members, maybe only 25 will turn up for Donnington and Oulton - they've added Snetterton this year which I love - and I doubt we'll see that many turn out.

So, at leat eight Paddock Club days booked - plus I'm trying to get freed up for RMA's Spa on the 18th and 19th July and I'll probably do PCGB Croft just to see a few mates :)

Sadly, around 10 days out is all I can manage time wise these days.

I really like Chris' idea of doing Cadwell - but sadly not in the Cup Car :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117033

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 13 February 2007

Very, very little on the Cup car - I don't trust myself - Redline Racing have always looked after her since she was collected from Weissach.I'll change the harnesses / wheels / battery etc - but it's just not worth having something give out when you're on the edge - the cornering forces are way higher than on a road car - so the risk is much, much higher.Trackdays - yes, I'm an RMA Paddock Club Member :oops:
not cheap - but when you compare it to the amount of tracktime you get (a friend was out on Donnington for half an hour with NOTHING else on track last year!) it's cheap really - with open pit lane and only 100 members, maybe only 25 will turn up for Donnington and Oulton - they've added Snetterton this year which I love - and I doubt we'll see that many turn out.So, at leat eight Paddock Club days booked - plus I'm trying to get freed up for RMA's Spa on the 18th and 19th July and I'll probably do PCGB Croft just to see a few mates :)
Sadly, around 10 days out is all I can manage time wise these days.I really like Chris' idea of doing Cadwell - but sadly not in the Cup Car :wink:
Philip

the air box the cup car uses worth adding to a Mk2 ?

my Mk2 has simply a K&N filter with the Manthey upgrades.... I was tempted to stick on the RS Air scoup at some point but not much else...
Previous poster said:

edited as I've just read the previous page

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117036

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back