Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Cup air filter

PolarExpress

Banned
I know of a chap who is selling a used GT3 Cup air filter for about £50. I saw the item and it looks in very good condition. They are quite easy to install and normally cost a few hundred ££.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can send you the seller's details.

Regards, Ade

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116676

Are they washable? I keep seeing a few go on eBay every so often.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116678

Mk1 only Ade?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116772

not sure Stu, best to ask Steve! The 997 Cup cars run these type of cone filters...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116782

Cone filter was only fitted to Pre-2003 Cup cars - '03 model year and onwards uses the carbon 'scoop' intake with a different filter design - claimed with different ECU mapping to make '03, '04 and '05 cars up by around 4bhp.

When combined with the different ratios in the box and final drive of the '04 and '05 this makes the later cars much snappier

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116806

from what I've seen, the latest Cup filter design is sort-of-like-a-cone... probably more like a rounded trapezoid "cone"?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116834

Adrien,

Went into the garage and below is a 2005 Cup Airfilter. The pre 2003 filter was the conical / cone you described - the later one shown below has a carbon fibre airscoop / ram and the flat filter. Sounds like the one you mentioned for sale was a pre-2003 model year filter.

DSC00436.jpg

and a closer view:

DSC00435.jpg

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116918

Thanks Philip. That's the rounded trapezoidal one I referred to in the new 997 (clearly it's the filter housing, not the actual filter). However, the photo shows that the new one is still fundamentally a BMC conical design, not a flat one as you suggest (filter ridges around the side of the filter, not the top)?

The one I was referring to that was for sale is the pre-03 BMC Cup cone filter like this:

P1050213x.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116924

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 13 February 2007
The one I was referring to that was for sale is the pre-03 BMC Cup cone filter like this:

P1050213x.jpg

Yep - that's the pre-'03 type.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116926

The cup car looks like new Philip, a very clean machine!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116934

Actually Philip, Ade apologies in advance for veering from the original topic, could you describe the exhaust layout on the cup car - i'm curious to know if it is a straight through system or wheather there is any form of silencing?

And a more silly question, do they require cats?

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116939

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 February 2007

Thanks Dunc - she's completely original and never, ever damaged - apart from a 'kiss' from Damien Faulkner's wheel in one of the Carrera Cup rounds. She's still liveried as she finished the Cup.

Now showing just about 2,500 miles from new - I do about 10 events a year in her - provided I get the time :D

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116954

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 13 February 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 13 February 2007

Thanks Dunc - she's completely original and never, ever damaged - apart from a 'kiss' from Damien Faulkner's wheel in one of the Carrera Cup rounds. She's still liveried as she finished the Cup.Now showing just about 2,500 miles from new - I do about 10 events a year in her - provided I get the time :D
Philip
Won't be many in that condition, cup can get a bit like dodgems from footage i've seen!

Is there quite a noticeable diference in the gearing from your road GT3? I've read a fair bit recently on the merits of fitting the cup's crown pinion etc. to reduce the gearing.

And these pipes, are they straight throughs?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, i've not had much exposure to a cup car to investigate or myself :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116957

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back