Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Mk 1 Brakes upgrade

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 12 February 2007
I thought the cup discs were solid, no? Where are they cracking?
I was just going to get a set of cross drilled std discs for it, did you find the cup discs better? (or cheaper?)

Ok, I might have used wrong terminology here. The discs I have are drilled, but ordered from Tech 9 and I thought they were referred to as cup. They were defo cheaper than std discs through OPC and also arrived in a Porsche Motorsport box :D
!!

I recall seeing a thread on PH that referred to these as being 1mm thinner & so would not last as long as stds. They've been fine, to the extent that they appear to crack as quickly as the standards!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116543

These are the best price i've found so far - how does it compare?

996 GT3 BRAKE DISC - ORIGINAL PORSCHE

<>
spacer.gif

996 BRAKE DISC FRONT - L OE
spacer.gif

1999-02
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

£ 165.42
spacer.gif

[url='javascript:parent.cartcookie.additem(Document.ID99635140991X,996]Web link[/url]
spacer.gif

<>
996 BRAKE DISC FRONT - R OE
spacer.gif

1999-02
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

£ 165.42
spacer.gif

[url='javascript:parent.cartcookie.additem(Document.ID99635141091X,996]Web link[/url]
spacer.gif

<>
996 BRAKE DISC REAR L OE
spacer.gif

1999-02
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

£ 112.00
spacer.gif

[url='javascript:parent.cartcookie.additem(Document.ID99635240500X,996]Web link[/url]
spacer.gif

<
spacer.gif

996 BRAKE DISC REAR R OE
spacer.gif

1999-02
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

£ 112.00
spacer.gif

[url='javascript:parent.cartcookie.additem(Document.ID99635240600X,996]Web link[/url]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116553

Good - think I paid £125 per corner for cup items. NB - you wont get a motorsport box if u buy "normal" ones :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116568

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by rikki griffiths on 12 February 2007

Good - think I paid £125 per corner for cup items. NB - you wont get a motorsport box if u buy "normal" ones :wink:
Porsche Motorsport dept are the bain of my life at the mo and the reason i haven't seen my car in weeks - seems that they don't prescribe to the theory of German efficiency when it comes to sending parts! I'll happily avoid 'em now :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116569

Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by rikki griffiths on 12 February 2007Good - think I paid £125 per corner for cup items. NB - you wont get a motorsport box if u buy "normal" ones :wink:
Porsche Motorsport dept are the bain of my life at the mo and the reason i haven't seen my car in weeks - seems that they don't prescribe to the theory of German efficiency when it comes to sending parts! I'll happily avoid 'em now :wink:
[/i:mwq1KDmyiq]
Oh dear - whats up?? And while Im writing, did i read your car is Zanzibar? Is it "Greigs" old car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116571

Warranty work fortunately but had a wee synchro prob and now a MAF. You are correct it is the very chappies old car!

<standsbywaitingnervouslyforhorrorstories>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116573

Previous poster said:
Warranty work fortunately but had a wee synchro prob and now a MAF. You are correct it is the very chappies old car!

relax!!! Greig fussed & coddled it to death! And, without wishing to insult him, nice guy as he is and had fun with, errrrr, he's no Aryton Senna so the car was driven nicely.

Better?

Re the MAF - u can get ones for £130, but if u OPC it, think it'll cost u circa £400/500 - I know, Ive had 2 fitted!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116574

Are you going to do the cooling upgrade too ??

this is meant to be a well worth while upgrade on the MKI so i have been told...

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116576

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Glenn Mc on 12 February 2007
this is meant to be a well worth while upgrade on the MKI so i have been told...

G.

Crikey Glenn - the pound notes are flying out of the window :wink:

Good q - Ive purchased a set of those brake cooling ducts (ref Andy Duncan), but r u talking about the air vents in the nose like the RS'S, or can u point me in the right direction.

So far, its cup steering wheel, SS kit, those brake ducts, Parr exhaust & package, floating discs and front end respray - does the madness end?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116581

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

relax!!! Greig fussed & coddled it to death! And, without wishing to insult him, nice guy as he is and had fun with, errrrr, he's no Aryton Senna so the car was driven nicely.Better?Re the MAF - u can get ones for £130, but if u OPC it, think it'll cost u circa £400/500 - I know, Ive had 2 fitted!
Fortunately mr P is footing the bill for this MAF under warranty. I was in my car round KH with Greig before it was for sale and he seemed to be pretty mechanically sympathetic! I was confident it was a good 'un!

Was looking at the calendar for KH and the only Sunday is that one coming up this month - which i can't make. I take it that the hot marques Sundays are fairly regular and they've just not put the dates up yet? I'm eager to get the car out now!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116582

Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 12 February 2007 Warranty work fortunately but had a wee synchro prob and now a MAF. You are correct it is the very chappies old car!
[/i:8R2UUp4xmZ]
relax!!! Greig fussed & coddled it to death! And, without wishing to insult him, nice guy as he is and had fun with, errrrr, he's no Aryton Senna so the car was driven nicely.

Better?

Re the MAF - u can get ones for £130, but if u OPC it, think it'll cost u circa £400/500 - I know, Ive had 2 fitted!
Fortunately mr P is footing the bill for this MAF under warranty. I was in my car round KH with Greig before it was for sale and he seemed to be pretty mechanically sympathetic! I was confident it was a good 'un!
Was looking at the calendar for KH and the only Sunday is that one coming up this month - which i can't make. I take it that the hot marques Sundays are fairly regular and they've just not put the dates up yet? I'm eager to get the car out now!

Quite regular - 25th next Hot Marques? Next KH date after this I've got (or rather next one Id choose to be at & comfortable with standard of driving & cars that is) is Friday 6th April evening 6 till 8. Quite a good date as its a bank holiday which means I@m nice & relaxed when I arrive. Organised by Dreadnought - do u want more details???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116587

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Glenn Mc on 12 February 2007

G.

The brake cooling conversion on the Mk1 is excellent. It is more than just the Cup ducts that Andy Duncan refers to. It consists of closing up the front underside vents, routing piping through the rear of the inner front wheel arch, and directing it towards the back of the brakes. It's hard to see the full install, but you get this additional scoop inside the wheelarch...

P1050262x.jpg

Maximum brake cooling is provided by combining both the brake cooling conversion + Cup brake ducts. I have had both conversions done, and even on a short circuit around Brands Indy, the brakes cooled down enough to actually start squealing again on each lap with moderate brake use.

The vents on the top of the front PU a-la-RS is a different conversion. That is the Cup rad conversion which cants the front rad forward to allow air to hit the rad at a perpendicular angle and vent up and over the front bonnet. Note that the RS does not cant the rads forward and only has the PU vents. Combined with the closed underside vents (see above) and you get cooler running temps and also greater front end downforce. This conversion runs my car at least 10deg cooler at any point in time, and on track days running in max attack mode, the temp never rises above the 80 mark. The difference in front aero is noticeable with a front that feels nailed down at high speed (+17kg front end downforce at speed).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116588

thanks OC - Im off for a look now!

2 minutes ago the momo steering wheel from Carnewal turned up _ is a thing of beauty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116589

The Cup steering wheel IS a thing of beauty. Really transforms the feel of the driving experience. :)
Although I recommend driving with gloves now to avoid sweat flattening the suede!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116590

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 12 February 2007
The Cup steering wheel IS a thing of beauty. Really transforms the feel of the driving experience. :)
Although I recommend driving with gloves now to avoid sweat flattening the suede!

Good point _ Im going to brush the suede right now but gloves are the strategic answer. you, Sir, are a bad influence :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116593

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back