Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just Bought a 996 GT2

"Accrington Stanley? Who are they?" "Exactly!"

happy days!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113825

Here are the main differences between GT2, 3 and TT:

Take 1 GT3 engine, change crankshaft, con rods, heads, valves, cams, inlet manifold, throttle, exhaust manifolds, silencers, cats, valves, and probably pistons, air filter, add two turbos and a couple of intercoolers, change the ECU and all engine management software, and you get a TT engine.
You can keep the crank case and the cylinders, and I think the oil tank.

For the GT2, take the TT engine, replace turbos with bigger ones, replace intercoolers with better ones. There may be some other changes, but I am not sure what.
(Turbo S and X50 upgrade cars have the same turbos and intercoolers and the GT2).

GT2, 3 and TT engines are not related to the C2/4 engines. They are an evolution of the GT1 engine. Most inmportant difference is that they have one more bearing on the crankshaft and the bearings are a different design.

GT2, 3 and TT use an evolution of the G50 line of gearboxes, based on the one used in the 993 GT2. (This is completely different to the C2/4, since it has a higher torque rating and the gear ratios can be changed.)
The main difference is that the TT has the output for the driveshaft to the front wheels, GT2 has a separate oil cooler and a spray system to direct oil onto the gears.

GT2 and GT3 have fully adjustable suspension, TT does not.

GT2, 3 and TT are all based on the C4 shell, since the centre tunnel makes the shell stiffer.
The rear wings are cosmetic only.

Standard ride height of GT2 and 3 is 20mm lower than TT (TT is 10mm lower than C2/4).

GT2 has the exit for the centre radiator in front of the bonnet, where as in the TT it goes under the car. GT3 did not have the over bonnet exit, but this was changed on the RS.
All 3 have different front bumper, spoiler lips, and rear wings, and wheels/tyres are different.

GT2 and 3 are rwd, TT is 4wd.

GT2 is 100 kg lighter than TT, and does not have PSM.

GT2 was intended to be a turbo version of the GT3 from a product concept perspective.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114648

Ok, so simply put, they're all kind of different cars really! :?

Would be interesting to see the pics side by side!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114711

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 31 January 2007

Didn't realise we even had 1 GT2 on here and now we have 2! :)

Welcome Just, more pics please!!!

....make that 3. I've had mine since October. Just you will love the ownership experience...they truely are very under rated cars.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115086

i feel the same welshnobby i feel that there very underated and not alot of information on them but i think its probably down to how rare the car is i mean there is alot more inforamtion on say the GT3 has there is alot more people who have them due to being alot cheaper about 50000 worth

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115206

welshnobby is your GT2 a silver one like mine ? and what sort of money did u pay in october and mileage please would be interesting to compare

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115207

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by hog on 27 January 2007

I haven't pulled many widows in mine!

But my idea of a widow is Sophia Loren in all black lace!
Good man!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115210

Just ..... I thought I was mad!!!! In the days of 4wd ABS, TC and airbags, you've gone out and bought the 996 version of the 930 with far more power.

Do they have a limited slip diff?

Always remember walking along Sandbanks and a Porsche driving towards us. Wife asked why are you laughing. You could just tell it was not a straight turbo. Great noise and a knowing nod between driver and admirer was quite cool.

Nice start to ownerhsip and this forum.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115212

Anthony i like the story i know exactly what you mean, how much power dose your 911 turbo have???. The GT2 dosent have slipp diff as far as i know that would be far to sensible ,you just have to llove the designers of the GT2 they was either mad or real car enthusiasts

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115260

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Just on 07 February 2007

welshnobby is your GT2 a silver one like mine ? and what sort of money did u pay in october and mileage please would be interesting to compare
Yes mine is a very similar spec, 14k miles '02. Large arctic pack and pccb in excellent condition. I'm not going to say how much i paid, suffice to say that you have had a good deal.

...oh and all 996 GT2's have a limited slip diff. You will notice it most when doing a tight radius reverse manouvre (usually out of a ditch :laugh:) as you can hear a slight mechanical noise....also when in a straight line and both rears light up and you feel a snaking sensation down the motorway ;-)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115342

Welshnobby its very hard to know if i got a good deal since how rare the car is, your car seems to be exactly same spec as mine but my car has done 33k miles with a very cool registration GT02 BYE i paid £56000 far mine which towards the ones i have seen on the autotrader seems very reasonable since prices there are from £63000-£75000 i just hope they dont depreciate much now and have hit the bottom

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115473

Previous poster said:

not alot of information on them
March or April Total 911 will have 996 GT2 feature I believe with a nice Polar Silver GT2

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115545

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Just on 08 February 2007

Welshnobby its very hard to know if i got a good deal since how rare the car is, your car seems to be exactly same spec as mine but my car has done 33k miles with a very cool registration GT02 BYE i paid £56000 far mine which towards the ones i have seen on the autotrader seems very reasonable since prices there are from £63000-£75000 i just hope they dont depreciate much now and have hit the bottom

I think they probably have hit the bottom. I can't see them losing big money from here. Well i hope so anyway

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115551

Thanks ballast far that information will be certainly buying that :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115599

Previous poster said:

how much power dose your 911 turbo have???.
The old girl was rated at 300bhp in her prime.

Roller road tested at G-Force in 2005 and producing 308bhp (at the flywheel) :D

911's don't age, they just mature :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115615

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back