Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tips for polishign tips?

Another vote on the old Autosol - although brasso is also meant to be good - you should see the finish my grandad got on his old Fiesta engine using brasso - I am being serious when I say that the engine bay looked better than when it left the factory - serious bling - simply from brasso and hard work.

Pity it was on a 1.4 Ford really!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106440

cif is abrasive i think, its milder in terms of pH (its alkali i believe) but i personally wouldn't use it on exhaust tips. Although in fairness i'm thinking of the cif cream, there may be other variants by now.

I'd still recommend silvo and a soft cloth (or brasso, not dissimilar to each other)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106448

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Tim Storey on 05 January 2007

Acidic cleaner (such as cillit bang)
Can you get Barry Scott to stop shouting?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106459

are you kidding? he's my hero, well at least until my bonus is paid :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106487

well i used the cif and it didnt do much other than remove the grime, the tips still looked gold tinted

I decided to give the dremel another go and wow they came up nice. I did one hard pass and cocentrated on the bad spots then a few more passes going lighter each time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106517

Anionic
[/i:WojipsIirI]
Surfactants-
a surfactant is defined as a material that can greatly reduce the surface tension of water when used in very low concentrations they can also provide alkalinity, which is useful in removing acidic soils while avoiding any re-depositing of the soils and eliminating any chemical surface ‘film’, a
ll of which are environmentally sound, extremely effective and safe and leave no surface residue like other non-synthetic cleaners

Exhaust Tips / Pipes:

To clean exhaust piping use a polishing powder (Blue Coral Blue Buster) to remove ‘blue’ from exhaust pipes wet towel and polish, it will not scratch chrome, can also be used on brass and stainless steel.

For exhaust pipe polishing -use a strip impregnated with a metal polish (Luster Strips) (See also Chrome / Stainless Steel Exhaust)
protect the
exhaust components with a polymer sealant (ZoopSeal)

Exhaust System:
[/b:WojipsIirI]
[/b:WojipsIirI]

Stainless steel is a strong, robust and durable metal that far exceeds life spans of several other materials. Stainless steel is not just one material; it is a family of chromium containing steels, which all possesses an inherent resistance to corrosion. The chromium is distributed throughout the steel and its purpose is to form a sub-microscopic surface layer of hard, adherent chromium oxide on steel, a few atoms thick.

The film is known as the passive layer, and it protects the underlying material from attack by corrosive species. If the layer is damaged in any way, it instantly reforms in the presence of oxygen to protect the surface of the material. To polish use a mild polish (Happich Simichrome) to remove stubborn stains use an abrasive polish Heavy Metal® Ultra Fine Abrasive Polish

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106589

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back