Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor cranking?

Carrera4S

Banned
My C4S suffers from poor cranking when starting, worse if the engine is warm (the oil scavenger in use). I replaced the battery last January and have had no issues with starting, the car starts first time, 99% of the time.

Any suggestions? Starter motor?

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105624

Damian,
If the car starts first time, 99% of the time, what do you mean by poor cranking? Is it the investigation into why it doesn't start the 1% of the time? Or have I completely lost the plot... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105639

Make sure the starter earth lead is tight and making clean contact and that the battery earth is clean and tight.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105640

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 02 January 2007
Damian,
If the car starts first time, 99% of the time, what do you mean by poor cranking? Is it the investigation into why it doesn't start the 1% of the time? Or have I completely lost the plot... :wink:

Slow cranking, very slow turnover before the engine starts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105660

I had what Stevo suggests, needed a new earth strap even though mine looked good. Remember resistance increases with temperature (said in a Yoda voice) Hmmm.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105662

Sounds like a warranty issue? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105668

sound like you're low on initial amps...

car been sitting unused for a while ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105680

postamble();
Hi, I have a 2002 MY C4S and very occassionally have the same starting from hot it seems to hesitate and crank slower than usual - but it also always starts so haven't worried to much about it.

More of a worry was the fact on those hot start occassions when it fires up it sometimes sounds like a bag of old nails for a couple of seconds - have posted before about this and everyone assurred me it was normal.

Doing some reading up this evening though I noticed/read a couple of things in the Porsche 911 story by Paul Frere.

1. FYI the 996 doesn't have a oil scavenger pump as the oil tank is located under the crankcase seperated from it by inclined slats allowing crankcase oil to return to the oil tank avoiding the need for the scavenger pump.

2. 3.6Ltr crs have the variocam plus which uses a peg to hold the rotor in the late timing position when the engine is stopped. This avoids a brutal contact of the vanes with the stator walls for the short time required for the oil pressure to build up when the engine is started - I wonder if this is the bag of old nails I am hearing on warm start up - I.E. I wonder if my 'peg' isn't locating correctly ???

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105687

Sundeep, it's my car, it's never left sitting unused for a period of time! :)

Vlad, interesting reply. I don't remember seeing 'bag of old nails' in the options list, but it looks like we've both managed to spec that option. Now how do we get an OPC to investigate this?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105746

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back