Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone know this GT3?

No idea about the history of that specific car, but judging by the photos, it's a late Comfort model with the electric bonnet and boot release and should have the alcantara headlining. Imho it's a good price if the car is clean and has been serviced regularly. It is a lot of car for the money. Might be worth a look!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105317

looks nice, Mk1's do sit well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105324

Worth £35k of anyone's money....provided the servicing/condition check out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105329

Must admit I was nearly tempted to go and look at that one, but don't think I can live with LHD on a daily driver - it would be good for track use though...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105333

Is that a big discount on a RHD car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105334

This is my first foray into 996s. Do they the have the vehicle data sticker inside the bonnet lid?

What tyres were standard issue on the Mk1? make and size

Anyone had any dealing with Charles Ivey? I'm sure they're reputable but any 1st hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105335

yep, a RHD would be low 40's methinks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105336

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Don777 on 01 January 2007
This is my first foray into 996s. Do they the have the vehicle data sticker inside the bonnet lid?
What tyres were standard issue on the Mk1? make and size
Anyone had any dealing with Charles Ivey? I'm sure they're reputable but any 1st hand knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes, the car should have a bonnet sticker on the underside.

Standard tyres/wheels were:

front: 225/40-18 on 8Jx18 Sport Designs
rear: 285/30-18 on 10Jx18 Sport Designs

Original tyres supplied were either the Bridgestone SO2-A (still available) or P-Zero Assimetricos (no longer available).

Charles Ivey have been around eons in the Porsche business. Charles Ivey himself was an ex-Porsche racer IIRC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105338

Any major issues with the Mk1?

Do they suffer from the RMS problem that I see mentioned or does that not affect the GT3?

I know the GT3 engine is derived from a different engine block but does it still have VarioCam?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105341

Don you've just got a thing about driving fast things from that left seat, :wink:
sounds good value if it checks out, thought about 964 RS there about that sort of money and a great track day car.

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105343

When I was looking at a GT3 the rms issue did not seem to be a problem because it did not use the same block as the basic 996, beleave it is the same block that was in your turbo. Total 911 & GT Porshe have in the past done a few features on the mk 1 and they still have back issues.

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105344

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Don777 on 01 January 2007
Any major issues with the Mk1?
Do they suffer from the RMS problem that I see mentioned or does that not affect the GT3?
I know the GT3 engine is derived from a different engine block but does it still have VarioCam?

No major issues with the Mk1. In fact, there have been no major issues with any GT3 to date.

The GT3 is based on the GT1 block (same as TT). It does not suffer the same kind of RMS issues as regular 996s. Mind you, ANY engine with oil inside that runs at high compression can suffer an oil leak! :?

The GT3 has Variocam - it is 2 stage on the Mk1, whereas it is stepless on the Mk2. The Mk2 witnesses the introduction of e-Gas (fly-by-wire throttle). The stepless Variocam is one of the key reasons the Mk2 has a slightly stronger engine throughout the rev-range.

But in tuned form, the Mk1 and Mk2 engines are capable of producing very similar numbers.

The merits of the Mk1 and Mk2 have been discussed at length before - it might be worth doing a quick search. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105346

Thanks chaps.

Yes I do seem to be happier in the left seat :wink:

I'm not looking at Mk2s as they are out of budget.

Will go and have a look at that Mk1 soon.

I have been looking outside the Porsche stable too :oops:
, primarily at Lotus Exiges and Caterhams. I've driven an Exige but not the Caterham (that'll be happening this week too). Not sure about driving a Caterham to the 'Ring though!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105356

Nice looking car and LHD is not an issue IMHO for everyday use.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105369

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back