Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changing ssteering wheel

vlad

Sao Paulo
Hi, I have a new steering wheel to fit just wanted to be sure the procedure for disconnecting the airbag. I once did a short test drive in a BMW without the airbag just to check the steering wheel alignment and it cost £20 to get BMW to reset the airbag warning light!

I imagine its simple along the lines of, disconnect battery, remove airbag, change steering wheel - RECONNECT airbag.

Question though : I am sure I have heard you should disconnect the battery with the key in a certain ignition position is it 1? something to do with the alarm ?

Once the battery is disconnected should you leave it a few minutes before removing the airbag - again from my BMW days they recommend a short delay to allow a capacitor or some such time to dissipate - would it be the same with my car?

Will the car have to 'recognise' the new airbag - will the DME do this automatically, its a non-porsche wheel and airbag from Techart.

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101541

That is about the size of it- I changed the wheel on my 993 for a 996 3 spoke wheel, and a new airbag. It's a bit of a fiddle lining the airbag boss back up with the bolts, but easy even for a DIY halfwit like me.

I did disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hour before removing anything.

I assumed the car would be none the wiser to having a new airbag/wheel as it was all done while it was sleeping with the battery disconnected- no probs with airbag lights etc.

I've not heard anything about position 1 and alarms, but perhaps different for a 996 so maybe worth checking with your local opc.

This old thread maybe useful

http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=40&TopicID=4925&SearchPagePosition=1&search=steering+wheel&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101544

To stop the alarm sounding when you disconnect, just ensure that the ignition is on then disconnect away!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101546

What are you changing to vlad?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101563

Techart as340 - has artic silver top 1/3rd and black alcantara grip.

Slightly thicker than standard wheel and also 340mm diameter as opposed to the standard ones 360mm.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101573

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vlad on 19 December 2006

Techart as340 - has artic silver top 1/3rd and black alcantara grip.

Slightly thicker than standard wheel and also 340mm diameter as opposed to the standard ones 360mm.
Do you have a pic - am thing of changing mine too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101578

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 19 December 2006
To stop the alarm sounding when you disconnect, just ensure that the ignition is on then disconnect away!

Correct. No time lapse required if the ignition is on when the battery is disconnected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101691

Hi all, finally got some garage time and fitted the steering wheel. Can confirm it was a doddle - disconnected battery (with the ignition tuned to position 1). And then removed airbag - then steering wheel and of course fitted the new one.

I also took the opportunity to fit the techiquipment handbrake and gear knob as well as the OEM short shift kit and the centre console delete.

What do you think? Deleting the centre console is a great mod alot more room for your left leg and more controversially I think it gives a sort of retro feel albeit updated and a link back to the 993 interiors.

The short shift kit is a revelation also - though I must say it does highlight an already fairly notchy gear change.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/test2.jpg

Happy new year to all,

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106995

That looks like a nice thick steering wheel. Is that a Porsche crest on the airbag? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107033

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back