Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Immobiliser problems?

Bud Fox

Montreal
Evening all. Hope we're not all getting to depressed by the cricket and are looking forward to xmas cheer instead??

I've had a small problem with my immobiliser today. The car unlocked as usual with the remote locking but failed to start. No turn over, but everything worked lights, stereo, instrument dials etc.
eventually I disconnected the battery and waited until my ears had stopped bleeding and everything worked fine after that.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems

Ta

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100907

There was a thread on the PCGB a couple of weeks ago - aparantly there is an 'emergency reset' function on the 996 - put the key in the drivers door then lock, then unlock three times in quick succession and then get the key into the ingition in under 10 seconds - aparently it worked for a guy who's 996 refused to go.

Can't take any credit for it - just remembered it for when I need it :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100920

some times this issue can be caused by a fault within the alarm control unit, by dissconecting the battery you have re set it a bit like a computer.

If fault re appears then you will need a new control unit, as eventualy it will not re set and you may be stranded. Check for water under ns seat as well this can cause the same faults.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101346

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by electech on 18 December 2006

some times this issue can be caused by a fault within the alarm control unit, by dissconecting the battery you have re set it a bit like a computer.
If fault re appears then you will need a new control unit, as eventualy it will not re set and you may be stranded. Check for water under ns seat as well this can cause the same faults.

That sounds nasty.

Thanks for the advice, it has been fine since so hopefully (very much fingers crossed) it was just a glitch.

However I don't really believe in glitches, so is there anyway I can get it checked out to be sure?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101354

Hi,

I had similar and even more confusing problems a few months ago. i.e I had intermitent won't start or will start then shut down after 15 mins or so??? which was eventually after a week traced by OPC Sheffield to malfunctioning crank positional encoder, also they had repalced the Mass Airflow Sensor. Also they couldn't get it rev freely past 6000 rpm. so they chajnged ALL coils ! Seems they cahnge things until the problem goes away. That problem now seems OK... However the locking unlocking is still an issue.. As my car sits in airport car parks for several days (and in fact at home) the alarm/immobilsier 'goes to sleep' so normally open the door with the key and the alarm kicks in on it's own battery systems and yes you have 10 secs to get the key to ignition position. Then if you turn off, shut the door and use the key button it should reset, unlock & disarm the immobiliser. In addition I also had problems with the keys which Porsche UK Reading say I need new ones ? (ouch why so expensive !!) and maybe control unit. I changed the key battery myself and it improved but not sorted. Now only one key works and only occasionally for instance today it now won't lock with the 'button' and if you lock with key and unlock the alarm kicks in again !! I even have to hit the lock button on the dash several times to get the fuel cover and front & rear bonnet/boots open. Bloody electronics... they should stick to nuts & bolts !! I also heard from an engineer at Reading about some elaborate on/off on/off reset method and also there's a button on the 'B' post to open the doors etc if the battery is completly shot. It is due back to Sheffield to investigate if I have any other excuses (sorry I mean solutions) I'll let you know. --- BTW this not just Porsche had similar with Merc SL..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101711

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back