Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Picked up GT3!!!

OPC's GEO check consists of the following:

Are all the wheels pointing it the right direction YES or NO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100068

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 911Silverback on 13 December 2006 
How you all doin peeps..

Rob, where you been?

Got your car back?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100070

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 13 December 2006
OPC's GEO check consists of the following:

Are all the wheels pointing it the right direction YES or NO

Bingo. OPCs do not check the geo of the car. Besides, an OPC is only allowed to set cars up to factory standard settings, not something that is optimised for your driving.

Indeed, take your car to JZM for a complete checkover and geo. In fact, if the car is due a service soon, you might as well get them to service the car properly to ensure that the car is as it is supposed to be. You've bought a £50k car and I would do what is possible to ensure it drives as it should (considering you have no idea as to what the OPC really did with it during their "check"...) hint: usually tick the boxes so that they can sell you the £895 warranty...

The clutch in, drift sounds like something is misaligned OR you hit a very bad section of tramlining and weren't prepared for the movement.

If you had the clutch out at 8k rpm, and the car drifted, then that is a different story and most likely the sign of a worn diff.

BTW, does your car chunter heavily/want to stall when reversing around a tight bend/into a car space?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100109

The slow lane of motorways are notoriously bad for tramlining, you get those deep ruts from where the trucks plough up and down all day long.

Worth trying again on another wide bit of road, try the middle lane to be safe.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100156

Yes, car stunters around while reversing at low speeds and turn from the driveway - sounds like it's going to stall....

I thought it might be the diff :(
Had a service in feb 2005, at 9637 miles, presume oil. Had one in Feb 02, 12496, a major service!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100171

You should get a bit of a whine form the diff at v. low speed turning and they can sound a bit mechanical. If its really chuntering then it sounds like a problem. Wouldn't explain your lane change thing as the diff is ineffectual unless under accelerative load.

Shouldn't really be close to stalling, however mine often does stall due to the LFW - usually on falling revs. Your diff. is certainly covered under warranty and may be worth looking at.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100176

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by scotia_steve74 on 14 December 2006
Yes, car stunters around while reversing at low speeds and turn from the driveway - sounds like it's going to stall....

I thought it might be the diff :(
Had a service in feb 2005, at 9637 miles, presume oil. Had one in Feb 02, 12496, a major service!

GOOD: I just wanted to check that your rear diff is working properly to discount that issue. A GT3 rear diff that is working properly will display those characteristics.

Was there no service between 02 and 05?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100183

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 14 December 2006
Your diff. is certainly covered under warranty and may be worth looking at.

Not so. The rear diff is considered a wear'n'tear item similar to a clutch. There are a couple of stories of people who have had their rear diff changed under warranty, but that was probably due to either goodwill by the OPCs or someone in the OPC who didn't know.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100184

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 14 December 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 14 December 2006

Your diff. is certainly covered under warranty and may be worth looking at.
Not so. The rear diff is considered a wear'n'tear item similar to a clutch. There are a couple of stories of people who have had their rear diff changed under warranty, but that was probably due to either goodwill by the OPCs or someone in the OPC who didn't know.
Interesting (in a not so good way). Maybe the instances of repair under warranty i'm thinking of were early failures considered to be premature?

I certainly thought that it was covered. Think i've a mail somewhere with all the items which are covered. I should really have a look at that sometime instead of relying on assumption ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100196

Just bought it. May now reject it....

There is another issue that I can't mention, something the dealer conveniently never told me...

Had warranty work but the OPC wont tell me what! Is that right?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100218

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by scotia_steve74 on 14 December 2006

Just bought it. May now reject it....There is another issue that I can't mention, something the dealer conveniently never told me...Had warranty work but the OPC wont tell me what! Is that right?
1stly good to hear you're in the hands of a GT3.....

as you'll find, you will discover a few things after owning... the lane change as detailed could be a host of factors, it souldnt do that so the geo needs checking...

as for warranty work, I know mine had but there were no records at the OPC in question......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100223

I know that mine has had (and may have more) warranty work so wouldn't worry too much - 'tis strange they wont disclose it though. Is the other issue a major one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100228

Yes, v major issue - nondisclosure of a serious issue that I'm not going to be able to talk about.

Car has had clutch at 3k, rear main warrranty, front lip, key and two services in 13500 miles. Quite a lot!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100238

Clutch at 3k - early but not terrible. At least its still fairly new now.Rear main? Not sure what you mean. Front lip - a favourite due to low clearance. Key - no biggie.

These cars benefit from regular servicing for fresh oil etc. so if its had at least one a year then its fine.

Obviously the other thing is pretty big so that's for you to decide if its a hand-back case. Everything else is relatively small potatoes imo.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100251

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back