Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Oil Pressure

Mike Mearns

Trainee
Help Required Please !!

Came out of the office tonight to notice that my Oil Pressure was up at 5 (max).

Popped round to a local garage and topped up my Oil as the level seemed particularly low.

Questions:

1. Is it normal for the pressure to be high on a cold engine (I've never noticed it before)

2. Would low oil levels show up as High Oil Pressure or would it be the opposite.

3. I rang a friend who told me you should always top up a 911 with the engine running, True / False.

The pressure seemed to drop back down on the journey home, but it stayed at about 3.5 bar for 2.5K revs, and rose up to about 4.5 bar when I went up to about 3k revs, I didn't have the bottle to rev it much more than that, until I got it checked out.

What's you thought's guy's, cause I don't like it when my baby is maybe not well !!

Thanks in advance !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95718

All the above is perfectly normal. And the 996 doesnt have to running to fill up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95723

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Mike Mearns on 30 November 2006

Help Required Please !!

Came out of the office tonight to notice that my Oil Pressure was up at 5 (max).

normal when cold, oil at its thickest

Popped round to a local garage and topped up my Oil as the level seemed particularly low.

Questions:

1. Is it normal for the pressure to be high on a cold engine (I've never noticed it before)

see previous awnser

2. Would low oil levels show up as High Oil Pressure or would it be the opposite.

very low, would be opposite, but would have to be very low

3. I rang a friend who told me you should always top up a 911 with the engine running, True / False.

false

The pressure seemed to drop back down on the journey home, but it stayed at about 3.5 bar for 2.5K revs, and rose up to about 4.5 bar when I went up to about 3k revs, I didn't have the bottle to rev it much more than that, until I got it checked out.

sound about right

What's you thought's guy's, cause I don't like it when my baby is maybe not well !!

Thanks in advance !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95724

postamble();
Hi Mike, I have a 2002MY C4S and those oil pressure readings seems exactly the same as mine. I asked the same questions when I bought mine in August this year but everyone assured me that these pressures were normal (including my local OPC).

How long have you had yours - what were the pressures at idle, at full chat, hot and cold before to make you worry that 5bar on cold idle was different?

I keep mine topped up to one bar below the top of the oil gauge.

I don't think there can be any truth in needing to top up the oil with the engine running - certainly no one suggested that when I was asking.

On the 996 the OPC said rely on the electronic gauge - after a drive so when the engine is hot - like when you get in the car after filling up with petrol.

Top up with oil in small increments 'cos there is only about a litre difference between min and max. But as to the when I don't think it matters hot or cold and I definately don't think you need the engine running!

Hope this helps

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95725

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 30 November 2006

All the above is perfectly normal. And the 996 doesnt have to running to fill up.
The above words are music to my ears, it's just I have never actually taken notice of the readings on the gauge, so when I glanced at it tonight I just about S**t myself when I saw it at max !!

Thanks for the time taken to reassure me, it's put's my mind at rest !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95730

guys each bar on the electronic gauge is .2 of a litre

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95732

the oil pressure is always at the top (5) when cold. then gradually settles down as the engine heats up. Mine finally sits beween 1 and 2 when at idle 500 revs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95765

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back