Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 RS

Fingers

G'day all

Recently, Total 911, GT Purely Porsche and even one of the long termers in Evo is writing about the 964 RS. Well I had the pleasure today of driving an immaculate (only 30,000 miles) 964 RS. I was hugely impressed,

I am not going to write a long and extensive review but my impressions were, very nimble, direct steering (no power steering not a problem if your moving fast enough) and an incredible sound! You feel the road but the ride is not harsh - to me at least and I do have a dodgy back!

The clutch (single mass flywheel) was incrediblly light and took a little getting used to but very easy to pull away in once I got the hang of it. The cabin is a nice place to be, my mates car has the touring package, leather seats, air conditioning etc and to be honest I could quite happily have driven it around all day.

Do we have any 964 RS owners?

I will try and get a go in a 993 RS soon to compare!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93618

Servo, you're in a very lucky position to have a drive in so many different exotic 911s!

One of the chaps here has just picked up a 964 RS, and hopefully he'll bring it round in a couple of wk to let us have a look! And Jamie has just sold his 964 and is looking for an RS.

One of the critisism fromthe press when the RS came out (when trackdays were not as popular) was that the ride was too harsh for the road. But now-a-days a lot road and trackday cars have rock hard suspensions so people are getting more used to it. I wonder how the press would view it now!

It would be interesting to see how you compare the difference between the 993/964 RS, in terms of the steering feel, handling, ride and speed.

As I remember the touring 964 is as rare as hen's teeth!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93629

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 26 November 2006
As I remember the touring 964 is as rare as hen's teeth!

But generally perceived as not being quite as desirable as the stripped out lightweight or even rawer NGT versions.

Servo, I wonder if Japanese road conditions are better than those here in the UK? Even compared to the regular GT3 or GT3 Manthey suspension, I find that the 964RS on UK roads really is very uncomfortable and uncompromising for road use...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93642

Servo I collected my 964 RS light yesterday and found the ride quality some where between pasm and normal mode on my ex 997 S which I find is very easy to live with. Like you say the reaction of the steering does keep you occupied but great feed back

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93647

Dick, you have an absolutely cracking 964RS. I know the PO was absolutely fastidious in looking after it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93651

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 26 November 2006

Dick, you have an absolutely cracking 964RS. I know the PO was absolutely fastidious in looking after it!
Thanks, a very nice and genuine fella the po.

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93654

Hi Dick

Didn't see the replies - sorry! Great motor you have mate! I really enjoyed the pureness of the RS. Would be a great second car.

I am looking forward to having a go in a 993 RS. Will give you my views. Meanwhile, on Saturday I had a go in a 3.2 Carrera (1988) very different once again! Every version of the 911 is very very different. BUT, having my first go in Porsche when I was 19 (15 years ago) they have all one thing in common - they are all awesome. Doesn't matter what year or version.

Oceancarrera - I think the roads are probably better in central Tokyo than the UK but overall not too different from the UK.

A few friends went up to the mountains near Tokyo and had one of the most amazing drives ever! We had a 6 cars out - 997, 993 X 2, 987S X 2, 930 X 1. Lots of twisty roads and lots of decent straights - got up to 155 MPH on some parts of the road. Raced a Cayman and thrashed him - think he chickened out at about 150 mph. Will post a snap or two if anyone is interested...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97136

We are always interested in pictures of cars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97139

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back