Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Washing MF towels?

Thanks everyone! I think I need to start investing in multicolour ones to keep their tasks separate... good tip G.

Philip, indeed, the Autosol cloths really stink afterwards... I think I might use some old rags instead going forwards... I always thought brake dust MF cloths had a good cutting action to go with the Autosol!

Mind you, those CostCo MF cloths are just great value: I bought a couple bags of these and their quality/cost is probably the best I had come across!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92320

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 22 November 2006

Mind you, those CostCo MF cloths are just great value: I bought a couple bags of these and their quality/cost is probably the best I had come across!
Hi Ade, which ones did you go for? When I looked at my local Costco I could only find a big pack of white terry toweling cloths. Are these the ones you went for?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 92328

I was told you were not meant to tumble dry them either, because the heat tended to mess up the fibres?

Could be wrong though ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93375

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 993C2S on 22 November 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 22 November 2006[/i:clISEJes7J]
Hi Ade, which ones did you go for?  When I looked at my local Costco I could only find a big pack of white terry toweling cloths.  Are these the ones you went for?

No, they were a big bag of yellow MF ones. I think there were about 20-25 in each bag for about £13?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93387

Microfiber ([/b:R4HMSHYjuH]
Micro fibre) Towel Care:
[/b:R4HMSHYjuH]

Always wash towels as soon as possible after use, the longer they sit the more the contaminants will set do not use bleach (bleach will shorten the life of your Microfiber cloths.)
Read the label on the detergent bottle and use half of what they recommend and use hot water (120oF). The alkaline minerals found in hot water attach themselves as you wash your towels, vinegar is an acid (Acetic acid,
pH=2) that l dissolves minerals. If the minerals are not removed from the towel it will eventually cause the towel to become abrasive and reduce its ability to absorb water. Fabric softener will also clog a micro fibre and reduce it absorbent qualities, and leave an oily residue on the paint surface.

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre and will better dislodge wax and other particles. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil thereby minimizing dwell time.

If the towel becomes too dirty, it will begin to “streak”, it is then time to wash the towel. Pre-soak in a liquid detergent / water and then squeeze out wax/polish with your hands and rinse thoroughly.
Micro-Restore is the only detergent formulated for maintaining and restoring micro fibre, it’s a concentrated detergent designed to clean, pamper and extend the life of micro fibre cloths. With all of the polishes, waxes, oils and chemicals that we apply and remove with our micro fibre cloths / towels, regular household detergent doesn’t even come close to cleaning or restoring them.

Micro-Restore effectively removes dirt without using the bleaches and softeners commonly found in laundry detergents (even when they say they don't there are small traces). Over time bleach breaks down micro fibres, and fabric softeners clog the microscopic fibres that make it so effective, rendering the micro fibre product less effective with each washing.

Three types of energy are required;
Chemical energy
[/i:R4HMSHYjuH]
-
provided by the synthetic cleaner,
Mechanical energy -
(agitation) provide by machine or hand,
Thermal energy
-provided by warm or hot water. Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension.

Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil thereby minimizing dwell time. Warm or hot water helps dissolve grease and oil in soil, agitation or hand rubbing helps pull the soil free.

This concentrated aqueous formula is a special blend of surfactants, emulsifiers, chelating agents and water softeners. Not only will Micro-Restore extend the life of your micro fibre, but also its special blend of ingredients has the power to break down all chemicals and heavy residues (wax, oil, grease, break dust, and other chemicals) that become implanted in micro fibre products when used in heavy cleaning situations like car care and remove them. The water softeners in the formula neutralize calcium and magnesium in hard water that cause towels to stiffen over time. Micro-Restore is biodegradable

Directions:
Use hot (120oF<) water and add 1-2 ounces to a standard size (8 gallon) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry, add 3-6 ounces. As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts water, apply to stain and launder as usual.
<Sorry previous link not available after migration>
<Sorry previous link not available after migration>
Acetic acid,
pH=2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer. Detergent is an alkaline (pH=12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).

When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.

[/i:R4HMSHYjuH][/b:R4HMSHYjuH]

Do not
[/i:R4HMSHYjuH][/b:R4HMSHYjuH]
wash micro fibre cloths / towels with other non- micro fibre fabrics, as they will pick up lint from other fabrics.
Air dry or you can dry micro fibre cloths / towels in any dryer on
low heat,[/i:R4HMSHYjuH] remove them before they are still damp (cuts down on static charge) just be sure that the dryer does not dry at temperatures above 235 oF as a synthetic Microfiber will melt if heated too high. Colours may bleed during first washing.

Information resource-

Automotive Detailing Inside & Out, A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist – by TOGWT

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99132

very interesting.

i used to wash my cloths on 60 deg C and found that they lost their ability to absorb well. Someone told me i did them too hot so now i do at 40-50

does it depend on the cloth or can all MF cloths take the same temp do you think?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99638

Must admit I was of the opinion that 40 deg was the ideal temp ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99663

Directions:
[/i:v4ysKtL3uX]
Use hot (120oF - 50oC<) water and add 1-2 ounces to a standard size (8 gallon – 30 liters) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry, add 3-6 ounces. As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts water, apply to stain and launder as usual. Do not use fabric softener (most contain silicone that the towel will adsorb and it will weaken the towels static charge and clog the fibres thereby reducing their effectiveness) towel will also treat the fabric softener as if it was dirt by trying to store the tiny particles of the softener in the towel fibres. This will clog up the micro fibres and render the towel ineffective. If the minerals are not removed from the towel it will eventually cause the towel to become abrasive and reduce its ability to absorb product / water.

Add a teaspoon distilled white vinegar in place of a softener per towel, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue and the acid counteracts any alkaline minerals in the water supply. Vinegar (Acetic acid,
pH=2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer. Detergent is an alkaline (pH=12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.

[/i:v4ysKtL3uX][/b:v4ysKtL3uX]

Do not
[/i:v4ysKtL3uX][/b:v4ysKtL3uX]
wash micro fibre cloths / towels with other non- micro fibre fabrics, as they will pick up lint from other fabrics. Air dry or you can dry micro fibre cloths / towels in any dryer on
low heat,[/i:v4ysKtL3uX] remove them before they are still damp (cuts down on static charge) just be sure that the dryer does not dry at temperatures above 235 oF as a synthetic Microfiber will melt if heated too high. Colours may bleed during first washing.

Information resource-

[u:v4ysKtL3uX]
[/b:v4ysKtL3uX]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100818

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back