Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ground Clearance

Nick Edwards

Hi All

Can anyone tell me where I can find the front ground clearance for the 997 C2- I am looking to buy one in the near future but have a steep drive- hence am worried I may grind the front out!

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89640

Nick - if you sepak to an OPC about this, they will more than likely take you on a test drive to your house to find out. This is the only sure fire way to tell. You also need to condider reversing back down the drive.

Mine just about gets up my drive, but I think a turbo would be a bit close!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89647

Yeah I would love to test the drive access with a test drive but unfortunately I live in the Isle of Man and believe it or not we no longer have a Porsche Dealership over here!

I have a friend who has a 996 C4S and that recently went up the drive and only just came down without scraping the front lip (albeit being very close)- hence if I know a 997 C2S is no lower then I should be ok.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89651

Some dealers would let you have one for a weekend - that may be long enough to test it. But you would have to ask nicely!

I don't have any information on ground clearance, but definetely don't get one with sports suspension, as it is 20mm lower. Give it some time, I'm sure someone on here will know - otherwise a call to an OPC/indie will be required.

Good Luck!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89656

Isle of Man ? get your fellow manxman Clarkson to arrange a 997 to visit you...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89664

Thanks for the info and comments guys.

Yeah I will have to give Jeremy a shout and see if he can arrange something!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89672

Nick, if you PM me your e-mail address, I will send you a very detailed diagram showing all the dims and clearance of a 997.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89701

Thanks Servo- just PM'd you my email address.

Can anyone tell me if a 997 C2S (with the sport suspension option) is lower than a 996 C4S as if not then I should be ok as my friends C4S got off the drive without grinding out.

If all else fails then I will have to buy the car and sell the house! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89734

Buy the car - if it scrapes, mix up a barrowload of concrete and pour it in the lowest part of the dip at the end of the driveway.... :wink:

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89739

997 C2 is 106mm and C2S is 96mm (technical specs in the 997 brochure I have). I had just the same issue as you and the OPC drove the car out to try it - just goes, but the plastic strip on the underside of the car (not sure what purpose it serves) just scrapes when reversing down the drive.

The trouble is no two driveways will be the same in terms of angle - there really is no substitute for trying one (little help when you're on the IoM, sorry). I agree with So Poo, don't go for one with sports suspension as you'd be lucky if that went up and down without a problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89768

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nick Edwards on 13 November 2006

Thanks Servo- just PM'd you my email address.

Can anyone tell me if a 997 C2S (with the sport suspension option) is lower than a 996 C4S as if not then I should be ok as my friends C4S got off the drive without grinding out.

I am pretty sure a 997 C2S with sport suspension is lowered to 76mm, which will be lower than a standard 996 C4S for sure.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89776

Don't know the actual height, but much lower than Tara as I found to my dismay when attempting to negotiate the plethora of speed bumps near me!

The 997 also didn't like disembarking the Windermere ferry... whoops!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89796

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nick Edwards on 13 November 2006

Yeah I would love to test the drive access with a test drive but unfortunately I live in the Isle of Man and believe it or not we no longer have a Porsche Dealership over here!
Have a word with someone at Mann-Island in Liverpool (OPC) - I believe their boss still has dealerships and a house in the IoM and is a Porsche enthusiast (does classic rallying with an old 911). I'm sure they would be able to arrange something - especially if you bought a car from them as a result.

Ian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89802

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments and guidance. I will make a few calls on Tues and see what I can do to ensure I can get the car up the drive. If all else fails I will get the car and simply get the drive adjusted.

I presently own a BMW CSL and that goes up and down ok so I am hopeful the 997 will be ok.

I will post some pics when I get the new beast!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89831

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back