Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4 Wheel Alignment

mike creer

Just replaced all the rubber on my C4S (Good deal - 630quid for a full set of Bridgestone S02A(N3)'s).
Noticed that the old front tyres had both worn on the inside edges of the tyres. Both tread patterns were almost smooth on the inside two inches of the tyres.
Thinking it MIGHT be a good idea to have the vehicle go through a "4wheel alignment".???
Phoned OPC Guildford...they quoted 250quid plus VAT !!! I actually started laughing on the phone...you know that disbelieving not quite hysterical type of laugh....until i quickly realised she was serious....and then i felt a little embarassed - thinking i might be "out of touch' on this one!!

QUESTIONS
Any ideas how often 4 wheel alignment should be done?
(Apart from when you've obviously if you hit a pot hole rather hard)

Will the cost be significantly less from a good Porsche independant?

Does it sound like I need this done..or am being paranoid?!!

Any recommendations/top tips regarding this?

As ever...thanks for your help....much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89570

Start with a good front end tracking - much less than a full 4 wheel job - Micheldever tyres (near Winchester)aren't that far away and have the right kit and knowledge.
But then...
My 993 was set up on all four corners by Guildford Porsche 3 years ago and all four tyres have worn perfectly evenly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89590

Tracking will do nothing for your car if the inside shoulders are worn (a sign of too much camber for the intended purpose). You'll need a full geo done. Keep in mind that OPCs are not allowed to do anything to the geo except return it to normal factory specs - not always the best setup depending on your driving style... although probably fine if all your miles are normal road miles.

A good geo with an indie is no different in price. Well worth it though.

Hitting a pothole does not necessarily throw the geo out - that's what suspension is for... geo only tends to get thrown out when the wheel absorbs deflections or impacts that are not meant for the intended direction of component movement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89615

My C4S wore the insode edges quite a lot too.
I think mine was set up according to factory spec too.

Although the TT is the same, and that wears them evenly.

The full alignment is expensive.
However Micheldever, can check it quite cheaply (although besides front wheel tracking, they can't change it, I believe).

If you had a lot of toe-out is would wear the inside edges, but you would probably notice it was not so stable at speed in a straight line and tramlined more.

Of course you should make sure the pressures are OK, especially now the weather is getting colder.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89649

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stuart Martin on 13 November 2006
If you had a lot of toe-out is would wear the inside edges, but you would probably notice it was not so stable at speed in a straight line and tramlined more.
Toe OUT is a bad thing (on the front tyres that is). The 911 wants toe IN. Under braking, the toe of the tyres angles out providing stability under braking. Having toe out on the car when the car is static will only increase instability under braking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89849

If the front tyres are worn that bad on the inner edges a full alignment is required, the independents will be cheaper for sure but the allignment is only as good as the settings and spec available to them. If I was you I would try a few dealers in surounding area, even try a bit of haggling on the price you might be supprised.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90091

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 13 November 2006
Tracking will do nothing for your car if the inside shoulders are worn (a sign of too much camber for the intended purpose). You'll need a full geo done. Keep in mind that OPCs are not allowed to do anything to the geo except return it to normal factory specs - not always the best setup depending on your driving style... although probably fine if all your miles are normal road miles.
A good geo with an indie is no different in price. Well worth it though.
Hitting a pothole does not necessarily throw the geo out - that's what suspension is for... geo only tends to get thrown out when the wheel absorbs deflections or impacts that are not meant for the intended direction of component movement.

OPCs will allow you to take it to the limits of the 'standard' setup, as long as the geometry report comes back green it's fine. It's a big difference between - and +, the OPC will put it right down the middle.

I've used Tognola in Datchet to set mine up in the past.

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90116

Sorry for the late reply guys - been away.
As ever - some good pieces of advice....think I'll have it all checked out
I've only done 10miles or so on the new tyres up til now so there wont be too much uneven wear just yet.
Thanks again - much appreciated.
Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 91362

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back