Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TT oil ?

Steve Gordon

hi had my 996tt since june it has 46000 miles on the clock and i cant belive the oil it is drinking in 4 months its must have drunk 7-8 litres of mobil 1.I spoke to opc guildford where i got the car from and they said it can drink a litre every 900 miles is this right or should i worry

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89514

it 'could' but with a car with the amount of miles that you have, that sounds a lot ! although cars can go through phases !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89516

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 12 November 2006

It doesn't sound right... no oil leaks anywhere?
Agree - it sounds like too much, unless you have done 20K miles in the last 4 months!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89539

Nothing confuses me more than facts;

How many miles since you bought it?
How many litres of oil is it 7 or 8?
Whats your pattern of usage - 150 miles a weekend or 20 miles a day?
Are you driving it hard or just gentle?
Do you track it or just commute?
Do you top it up to full, halfway or overfill?

All these answers will affect the oil mileage that you might expect.

If Guildford say 900 miles a litre, phone one of the independants and another OPC and ask them.

Do you have a Porsche warranty?

Having looked at a few other forums over time, these Porsche flat sixes burn more oil than a v8 or vertical 4.

Get a friend to drive the car when its hot and drive behind it - if theres a blue smoke screen that would be a problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89555

In the user manual, it mentions the oil consumption that is possible.
It is very high, off the top of my head, I can't remember the exact figure, something like a litre every 1000km, so Guildford's figure is better than that.

Mine consumes a litre every 5000 miles for normal driving, although it does go up quite a bit if it is driven hard (like 6000rpm foot to the floor in every gear on a track type of hard).
You may also consume more if you cane it from cold.

There is only 2 ways the oil is going to come out.
Either it will be leaking and dripping on the floor, or it is being burnt.
You should be able to see if it leaking, by getting under it.
If it is being burnt, then the current rate is maybe not enough to cause the OPC to investigate.
If it were an issue, then the most likely causes are worn piston rings, and worn valve guides. Neither are quick or cheap to fix. A compression test would see if there was any issue worth worrying about.

If it not leaking, then unless you can convince the OPC there is a warranty issue, it is going to cost a lot more than the oil to fix it.

There were some comments that you should drive the car hard straight out of the box, else it would never make its full power.
Frankly I think this is rot. You should run the thing in so that the parts have a chance to polish themselves together. I have done this with all cars, inc. two Porsches, and I have no oil consumption issues.
Of course you have no control over how someone else runs in the car.
Driving it hard straight away, just equals more oil consumption later, IMO.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89642

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back