Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxter steering

Dave T Jones

Hi. Can anybody out there give me some advise .I have just bought my first Porsche which is a 3.2 Boxter, 2001 plate on 36000 miles (i will take the hair dresser jokes as i had an MGF before) The steering, which is supposed to be so precise on these cars is anything but on uneven rutted or badly repaired roads. The front wheels seem to want to follow ruts in the road in a way i have not experianced before as the car wants to veer into the middle of the road.she handles pot holes well and On the open road is perfect. Is this just the result of low profile,wide tyres which i have to get used to ? I find it hard to think that this could be a steering fault with only 37k on the clock. P.S Front Tyres are good and pressure is 2.1 bar. Please tell me i am paranoid as there are roads i will not go down any more. Cheers, Dave.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88092

Dave - what tyres are you running? And are your running 18" rims by any chance?

My 996 was similar. It is just feeding back the road conditions to you. It did make it feel twitchy though. I swapped from Pirelli's to Conti and that has helped to a massive degree.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88095

Hi ,yes my rims are 18" does that make a difference ? i will check tyre make . thanks, Dave.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88106

I have 18" wheels (Pirelli Rosso tyres)on my 993 and they follow ruts - its the suspension/steering design - my Audi A3 has a steering/suspension setup designed in that has a run straight feature - ruts and sloping road surfaces and side winds don't affect it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88107

tram lining is a common feature of wider tyres and it does require a slightly different awareness (a lot more evident in mine where the car does dance all overt the road!)

but it's worth having the geometry checked to ensure the aligment is correct...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88108

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back