Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 subwoofer

I have never liked BOSEs stuff... but that´s just me !

Some progress made ! See the pic ! The unit now behind the seats . Fi
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2963_1.JPG
ts OK.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87883

And the view through the rear glass . I can take the measurements from my box , no problem. Remember though , that the end pieces are angled.... and it is narrower at the rear end... and still you can see some gaps in these pics !!! And it SHOULD have been a bit lower.... but my element needed that height !!!

Also did some testing with the sound , just wired the amp to battery.... and it sounded really nice ! I ended up lowering the level , it sounded too high. Also lowered the crossover point. Now I can hear it and feel it , but it is not too dominant anymore. Will do some tuning later on.

As you can see , a slightly bigger top piece , landing on the rear shelf , perhaps might create enough space to mount in a 10" unit ????

Also will take pics , when I get on with the Amp installation. Later.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2965_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87884

The Amp & speakerline to RCA converter in place. All wiring done , except the wake-up signal for the Amp. Will have to locate that from the factory fitted Amp.Tested it , by taking the wake-up from the battery. Worked OK.
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/129_2968_1.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88984

Well thank you for the compliments ! I just want to save some money.... and try to do something myself. Not the first sub that I have made , I have to say....but never worked on a car like this before.It is a different game , when you work with old cars. Car like this , with all the fancy electronics , thousands of wires & airbags....scares the s... out of me !!!

Just to encourage others , It Can Be Done , by a normal guy with atleast some DIY skills. And some sparetime. BTW : I am sure , if you buy your elements and stuff froma good ICE shop , they might give you a hand in designing the box , calculating the size of the box etc etc. Then just do all installation yourself. I was a bit scared first to start on a Porsche of this type.... but when you get started there is nothing stopping you !

And to improve the looks , try to locate the correct carpet material , and spend some more time designing & cutting the MDF pieces. Mine came a bit too high , because of the elements depth. If you go for ultra low element(s) , you can easily make lower box , thus hiding it even better than I did.But another thing , if you aim for the lower box , then the size of the element(s) is limited to 8".There is no room for a bigger one , behind the seats.Except if you make it higher , and tilt the element.But then it is gonna be even bigger bog.

And another thought,that came to my mind last night.You could fabricate a board piece to the bottom. ( to keep it in place ) And then make a smaller box on top of it , attaching it to the before mentioned board.Like right in the middle of the board? Then you would have small storage areas still behind the seats.And presumably , that way you could make the box shaping job a lot easier ? Because you dont have to make all corners & edges perfect fitting.Just the bottom board must fit tightly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89094

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

on the subject of installing an amp, I have the CR22 head unit which with the correct cable will give line-out. I got myself one of those cables and it just simply plugs into the back of the head unit, however, there are 5 RCA's from it which are left front, right front, left rear, right rear and just one for 'Sub'. Dont all amps require 2 RCA's? unless of course the sub RCA from the cable has both left and right channels combined and therefore i would need an RCA converter from single to dual.

Can anyone shed some light? see the pic below

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/16_1_b.jpg

the black one is labelled sub

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89370

I finished the installation yesterday , managed to find the factory Amps "remote" , or wake-up signal wire too. Now my new SubAmp turns ON at the same time as the original one. And turns OFF everytime radio is turned off.

Spent again some time playing with the adjustments , and also noticed how lousy the stock door woofers are !!! Every time I crank the volume UP , they start to sound distressed.... I lowered the level of Bass , still the same. I think they need to be replaced, sometime in the future.If I keep the volume low , they are sort of OK.

The good thing is , after the adjustments were made , I can crank the volume up , way up , and the new SUB work flawlessly !!! And I do like the "thump" feeling , at the back of my seat !

Altough , I have to admit , I wouldnt mind having a 10" one , and a better , smaller box , with the correct Porsche carpeting. And the idea of box design , I was also thinking of fabricating one from glassfiber & resin???? Maybe with smooth lines like 2 cones sticking up like t..s !!!!!! ???!!!????!! That way you could design it the shape & size you want or need.

e k i

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89674

what do you do for your day job eki,

sounds very techy all that work,

good job though

my bose I am very happy with, and the bose speakers are fab

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89754

Nothing wrong with BOSE , they are just too pricey , especially for what they are....

But they are nevertheless much better than the stock ones.

What I do for living , thats another story ! I play with Porsches and car HiFi all day long.... WHOOOOOA ! Thats a joke ! I do not !!!! I just have always played with car stereos.

Remember :Building a Sub is NO ROCKET SCIENCE !!! See around the internet , there is plenty of info available , maybe TOO much.... Building a simple , small , sealed Sub for a car is piece of cake. Getting it sound right , thats a whole new ball game ! But if you don´t have anykind of Sub to start with , any Sub will make a big difference ! Either commercially available one , amplified tube , DIY or what ever.

It is worth trying , especially if you are a "handy man" , and like to work with your hands.The end result will be rewarding ! You can always start something cheap & simple.Or buy a box , with element fitted , and a dedicated Sub Amp.Thats a good and easy start.

BTW : anybody played with glassfiber.... molding.... how to do ? What to use ? What NOT to do.... Tempting , to try something out of glassfiber. You know , MDF board cut to the size of that "hole" behind seats , then building a sub box using glassfiber on top of it. I think I have to give it a try !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89775

Just to clarify the BOSE thing.... I saw one , in a 996. The factory fitted BOSE sub.

It sure sits and fits nicely !!! No visible elements , or anything. Nice ! And it looks like it really is part of the rear shelf.

For anyone planning on building the Sub box , measure , test fit , re-measure & re-test fit , and so on....

With some time spent on planning , the fitment can be made perfect. And find the matching carpet material.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 91930

One final conclusion : AFter all the playing & tuning .... I still managed to mix the phase of the sub !! Or then I did not , cant be sure... but no matter what , I turned the sub wires the other way and , YIPPEE ... !!

A huge improvement , and immediate one ! The cheapest and fastest audio upgrade I have ever made !! It sounds now even better !

Anyone thinking about this type of DIY project , I highly recommend it ! I was originally a bit sceptical about that 8" unit beeing big enough.... well for any normal listener it is MORE than capable of a huge improvement !!!! Especiallly on a 911 , which is a bit limited on speaker sizing and quality....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 98793

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back