Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT2 @ Virgin cars

Toby - can you post the link to the PH post? i looked but couldnt find it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83094

Hmm- i saw that one, but it all seemed very friendly - no abuse to speak of.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83103

Thought the comment by KAYC was a bit of a dig , maybe I'm getting sensative in my old age !!! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83114

Henry has been very successful - plenty of people will want to have a dig at him.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83115

According to some of the guys on Pistonheads this car was part of the Gumball rally and it was sold via aution about a year ago.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83131

i have heard that

no wonder Henry hates the Internet Forums

to much information can be dangerous

to your bank balance

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83136

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toby Bean on 20 October 2006

According to some of the guys on Pistonheads this car was part of the Gumball rally and it was sold via aution about a year ago.

the PH lynch mob have been at it again ! oh henry come hear for some healing !!

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=318475&f=48&h=0

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3515938088761147811&q=lonman

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-707946736899073532&q=996+GT2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83232

Some questions, not having a dig at anyone but, Why would gumball be any different to say tracking every weekend or nurburgring. I would doubt there is a GT that has not been tracked. Are you saying Henry knows the history but is keeping stum in the hope whoever buys has not seen the forums. Is the price a lot lower for a gumball or tracked car and if so, Would any of you to a private seller say oh, by the way I have been tracking every other month.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83604

from the thread on PH

Now, I joined in the banter in the beginning of this thread when it was all a bit of a joke about Henry selling the most thrashed Porsche in the UK... Once he gave his position I left it... However, it has been mentioned by Henry a few times, that in his opinion the Gumball/Cannonball's were less stressful to the car than track days. Now, in my opinion (and i stress this is an uninformed, non expert opinion) that while track days will of course put more strain on the clutch and brakes than the gum/cannonball - I would expect these components to have been changed since then... Whereas - if the 'rumours' of the acheived speeds are true... Well, IMHO a sustained 180mph+ - which would be a sustained 6/7k RPM, over several hours of several days, would put significantly more strain on the engine, its components and gearbox, than for instance, a track day where the engine is constantly revved from 4 to 7k through the gears - simply because during a track day (inc VMax) the moment you hit max revs, you change up, and very few cars reach their top speed in these events, and so the engine is subjected to maximum revs for a very, very small percentage of running time against the alleged gumball condition. As for the suspension components - well tracks are generally smoother than a lot of roads, and very much more than the hard shoulders. And while I can't comment on the condition of that specific car, only the previous owner and Henry can honestly do that - I stand by my opinion above... that a gumballed car (driven in the fashion shown in the videos) has had a harder life than one that has done a couple of track days/vmax.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83605

I agree for a similar reason - Gumballers tend to have more spare dosh than trackday guys and thrash their cars accordingly.

Its a question of attitude to the car -- love it or just use it...

Just a personal opinion. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83678

the car in quesiton does look worrying - it has 28k on the clock some years ago and now has less than 20, although it did receive an OPC warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83696

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 22 October 2006

I agree for a similar reason - Gumballers tend to have more spare dosh than trackday guys and thrash their cars accordingly.Its a question of attitute to the car -- love it or just use it...Just a personal opinion. :)
personally there is an art and finesse at track day driving and I've never hit the rev limit in my car in those years.....one has to be smooth with the clutch , gearbox, diff, etc etc as it's not a about going fast in a straight line, as you rarely dump all the power in one go.....

whilst driving on smooth track surfaces is very different to roads whilst I decided to effectivelt half the servicing intervals, to keep everything in peak condition....

IMHO of course

but fair effort to some of the gumbal/canonballers that I have met, they have more £ ability where their cars are more disposable, their choice as they are able to turn over their cars more frequently !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 83714

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back