Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Design Fault?

Alan Parsons

Porsche states that three leaking radiators on a 2003 996 with 18,000 careful miles is a 'after sales' problem and not a 'manufacturing defect'!

There are no visible stone chips on the bodywork so, if the radiators are being damaged by invisible flying objects, why are they not protected by a mesh behind the air intakes as on most other vehicles. This vehicle cost nearly £100,000 when new so surely at that price the radiators should be protected.

Porsche have just quoted approximately £2,500 (including fitting) to replace the three radiators!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79486

Daz aka Speed Freak did not too long ago................and I think a few others have also experienced this too

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79489

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

My 996 has 90k on the clock, i've only had it a month myself and had to change one of the rads (rotted). When i took the front bumper off the corner scoops were full of crap which was rotting the rads away, no history of them being replaced before but I agree there is a design fault.

May i point out that the rads in the corners are hidden behind the aircon rads so it's unlikely they are getting damaged by flying stones! Just remember to stick your jetwash in the scoops to clean out the crap. Cost me £150 including the replacement rad to do it myself, very easy job, Chester OPC quoted £400 to change one rad.

Have you seen the faulty rads yourself? I presume they're still on the car, I was going to suggest taking one off and have it tested in a radiator repair shop (there's usually one in every town) to find out if they have been punctured (which would suggest stones) or burst (which would point to a faulty/weak rad), they can order a new one for you at the same time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79498

are you under wtty?

if not, you should be able to get them done under goodwill,

phone Porsche Uk,

I will try and dig the number out later.

agreed cleaning inside bumpers a must.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79501

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 10 October 2006

are you under wtty?

if not, you should be able to get them done under goodwill,

phone Porsche Uk,

I will try and dig the number out later.

agreed cleaning inside bumpers a must.

Any tips on how I could do that? Bear in mind that I am useles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79510

Guys - where exactly should we be cleaning inside the bumpers? I too am useless, so 'radiator cleaning for dummies' would be good.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79515

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

OK, here's how i cleaned my intakes out:

If you kneel down in front of the car and look through the openings in the front bumper either side of the number plate you will see what looks like a silver radiator, this is in fact the aircon radiator and behind is the coolant radiatior (same both sides).

Now reach inside with your hand till you touch the aircon radiator and follow it to the outer edge bottom corner (far left for left side and far right for right side) if there is any debris you will feel it, you may even see it if you shine a torch down there.

If this hasn't been done for some years then there will be quite a build up of leaves, mud, rubbish etc which could be compacted so you need to loosen it up- but don't go stabbing around in there, be gentle!

Then just direct the jetwash nozzle in there and give it a blast, try not to point the nozzle directly at the rad, give it a few short blasts and the crap should fly out.

The crap in my intakes covered almost quarter of the radiator which i'm sure not only effected the cooling power but was also the cause of rotting the radiators, luckily I only had to replace one.

Now they're clean I can see a noticable difference in the position of the temperature gauge.

All good!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79545

I assumed the title was a statement :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79561

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by John Paul Richards on 10 October 2006

OK, here's how i cleaned my intakes out:If you kneel down in front of the car and look through the openings in the front bumper either side of the number plate you will see what looks like a silver radiator, this is in fact the aircon radiator and behind is the coolant radiatior (same both sides).Now reach inside with your hand till you touch the aircon radiator and follow it to the outer edge bottom corner (far left for left side and far right for right side) if there is any debris you will feel it, you may even see it if you shine a torch down there.If this hasn't been done for some years then there will be quite a build up of leaves, mud, rubbish etc which could be compacted so you need to loosen it up- but don't go stabbing around in there, be gentle!Then just direct the jetwash nozzle in there and give it a blast, try not to point the nozzle directly at the rad, give it a few short blasts and the crap should fly out.The crap in my intakes covered almost quarter of the radiator which i'm sure not only effected the cooling power but was also the cause of rotting the radiators, luckily I only had to replace one.Now they're clean I can see a noticable difference in the position of the temperature gauge.All good!

A word of warning when doing this.

If you have quite thick forearms be very careful that you don't push too far into the front grill otherwise you will end having a conversation along these lines.

Me: "Darling be a poppet and get daddy some washing up liquid from the kitchen"

9 yr old daughter: "Why Daddy"

Me: " Because I need it"

Daughter: "Daddy Is your arm stuck?"

Me: "Go and get me some ****** washing up liquid NOW!"

And off she went in a fit of giggles :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79945

Nice to hear that you are still being called Daddy. My 7 year old daughter will only ever call me "Baddy" these days :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 79955

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
midas
Back