Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Remover Spoiler on a 911 SC?

john cheal

hi - Can you remove a factory fitted TurboTail spoiler from a 911sc easily? Can it be done without needing to buy a new engine cover? please help a newbie who doesn't like the big whaletail!

thanks

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73572

postamble();
Hi, I am by no means an expert on these things but I did notice a very similar question in the August edition of 911 & Porsche world where someone was asking whether it was OK to remove the tea try spoiler from a 1989 911 Targa - the reply that came back was that the whale tail spoiler together with other areodynamic details such as the front lip spoiler were designed to work together and reduce rear end lift and that at speeds of 90mph and above the tail may start to feel light.

Quoting from the article in the readers letters 'Up to 70mph, all will be fine - above that watch out...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73576

Hi John

Vlad is right - if you remove the rear spoiler then you will also need to remove the front chin spoiler. I also think I'm right in saying that the boot lids are different. My SC has neither front or rear spoiler and is perfectly stable at upto 200KM/h which I took it upto on the continent last week.

As it happens I am thinking of adding front and rear spoilers to mine so perhaps we could do some sort of deal?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94864

Porsche fitted the front chin and rear tea tray spoiler to stop the car going backwards into the scenery. The same was done with the first Audi TT when that car used to career off into the undergrowth on fast bends.
The Paul Frere book on the "Porsche 911 Story" has a long section on the development work by Porsche and reduction in lift that the spoilers provide. The total lift is reduced from 397lbs to 38 with the front lip and rear tray spoilers fitted.
(book is in a library near you for free)

When the 964/993/996/997 were produced they made it an auto raised/lowered spoiler - and it has a warning light on the dash if it doesn't raise - ask yourself why!

You could always remove it (new lid required) and then come back later asking where a good bodyshop is.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94883

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 28 November 2006

Porsche fitted the front chin and rear tea tray spoiler to stop the car going backwards into the scenery. The same was done with the first Audi TT when that car used to career off into the undergrowth on fast bends. The Paul Frere book on the "Porsche 911 Story" has a long section on the development work by Porsche and reduction in lift that the spoilers provide. The total lift is reduced from 397lbs to 38 with the front lip and rear tray spoilers fitted. (book is in a library near you for free)When the 964/993/996/997 were produced they made it an auto raised/lowered spoiler - and it has a warning light on the dash if it doesn't raise - ask yourself why!You could always remove it (new lid required) and then come back later asking where a good bodyshop is.....
But at the same time as the Sport option had the front/rear spoilers you could also have the car without and there are many non Sport optioned cars around without the spoliers on.

I don't think the 3.2 Speedster had spoilers either.

I am pretty certain that is quite safe to remove the spoilers, but you must remove both the front and rear.

I am also pretty certain that you will need a new engine cover.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 94958

2 options for lid

1.) Weld up the the six bolt holes that attach the spoiler and base, fill, prime and spray then fit a new grille to the existing lid

2.) Buy a plain lid.

Not much in it cost-wise, but if you happen to find a plain lid in your body colour you will save yourself some money.

I wouldn't get too hung up about removing the front chin spoiler if you remove the rear wing. I left it on my '89 3.2 and had no problems despite doing many trackdays and European blasts. To some extent you can make up for the missing rear wing by some judicious work to the suspension geometry and ride height.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95068

Safety shmafety ... I think we're missing the fact that an 80s 911 without the whale tail is just wrong (IMO of course :) ).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95110

Well said Jay T - take the whale tail off a genuine Supersport ????? Why would you do that with part of an icon it would be like taking away the glittery bits from the Chrsyler building in NYC; making Big Ben digital; asking Gordon Ramsey not to swear; produce non-alcoholic real ale.... etc etc

Leave the tail - you know you should !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96075

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back