Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Job - Cost

Robmeister

I'm looking at buying a used 997. What's holding me back from a particular car are the several chips and a couple of small scuffs on the bonnet and front bumper. I guess spending all that money, you're looking for near perfection. I tend to agree with the seller that it's not so chipped that it needs paint right now (perhaps in 12 months) but I am thinking about doing it. As an alternative, does anyone have any views on using Chipsaway? Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70295

Dont bother with chips away

factor in approx £1500-£2000 for a front end respray,

remember 90% of cars in amain dealers showroom have had the front end done, Porsche have a 3 stone chips and repaint the panel policy,

alternatively send it down to me in cornwall and you might get change from £1000, and have it zymoled at the same time for an extra £150 ( Vintage wax)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70296

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 18 August 2006

alternatively send it down to me in cornwall and you might get change from £1000, and have it zymoled at the same time for an extra £150 ( Vintage wax)
Seems a remarkably good offer be careful with that or you'll be swamped & in a new business!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70297

Sounds like a bargain to me!

I've not been overimpressed with 'localised' paint repairs a la Chips Away. Certainly won't satisfy you if you are a perfectionist. Fine on lower panels and dark colours where you won't dwell with the eye.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70313

I've just used the Langka system to touch in Iris Blue and I have to say that most of the marks have completely disappeared. Not sure how lighter metallics work but on the dark blue the touch in blobs are completely removed by the solution!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70319

I used Chipsway in Battersea in London after a recommendation on this site.I had the front bumper area done,the rear bumper done and a dent on the offside rear wing caused by a careless removal truck fixed and painted.The cost was £1100 and they have a done a pretty good job other than painting over the rubber between bumper and wing on the left.The paint (zenith Blue) has been matched in very well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72098

I would not use Chipsaway ever again. I had a small scuff on the front bumper. Chips away made such a mess, the car is now going to a proper paintshop to be refinished professionally.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72297

Hi, I tried chips away for scratch on my rear bumper and stone chips on front bumper and the result was very pedestrian...oversprayed laquer on front wings...nearly broke my heart...wait and get the job done properly

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72533

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back