Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pressure

vlad

postamble();
Hi, recently purchased a 2002 C4S - prior to delivery had the 111 point check which threw up a RMS leak so had that replaced at an OPC (didn't know the RMS was a problem with the 3.6 cars?). And purchased Porsche warranty

Got car today and its showing 5 bar on gentle acceleration , limped home dipped the oil and its just over the max on the dip stick. The automatic check also reads beyond the max. on start up from cold - though a oil check at a filling station did read just under max.

When I test drove the car prior to purchase and before the RMS was done the oil was perfect!

Question : is the electronic oil measurement reliable - or should I dip the oil manually?

Will the reason for the high pressure be the overfilled oil? Can any damage be done in 40 miles? What needs to be done to rectify ?

Thanks,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70194

In my experience the electronic gauge is the one to go by, If you do a search for oil levels on this forum you'll find many posts on how to read/top up the oil level.
As for damage I would be suprised if any was caused but I am about as far from an expert as you can get. Call the OPC where you bought the car and take it back to them to sort out.

And don't take any sh*t from them. Get them to sort out the problem on the car you just paid a small fortune for.

Congrats on your new 911. Is it your first?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70195

postamble();
Thanks for advice - yes I'll be contacting the OPC first thing in the morning.

Yes its my first 911 - this one has the sports exhaust what a blast - can't sneak home late any more though!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70196

When you first start up the car it will be on 5 untill the engine and oil warm up, (you shouldn't boot it at this point as pressure high - you could do a seal) once warm you can expect it to hover around 2 or 3. when you accelerate it can go high to 5.

The electronic gauge is reliable, but the car must be cold and on a flat even surface.

But yes get it checked out by OPC, thats what you have warranty for, and sports exhausts... :D :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70198

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vlad on 16 August 2006
<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();</SCRIPT>Thanks for advice - yes I'll be contacting the OPC first thing in the morning.
Yes its my first 911 - this one has the sports exhaust what a blast - can't sneak home late any more though!

Congrats on the new car, nice beasties those 4S, what colour?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70201

postamble();
Thanks - almost 2 embarassed to say, 'fraid its silver black leather interior - bit unoriginal I know!

But it does look great!

BTW have been member of other forums - for other marques - and very impressed with the friendlyness of the Porsche community

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70203

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vlad on 16 August 2006

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();
Thanks - almost 2 embarassed to say, 'fraid its silver black leather interior - bit unoriginal I know!

But it does look great!

BTW have been member of other forums - for other marques - and very impressed with the friendlyness of the Porsche community
Maybe unoriginal, but nice.

It was probably you I followed yesterday evening, judging by your location & car description!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70206

You have got to love the C4S! Congrats!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70219

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back