Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

170k miler 964

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie Summers on 07 July 2006

It's perfectly possible to reach that mileage without a rebuild, but I would suggest it's unlikely.

To put it into perspective my 1990 964 C2 has done 164,000 miles and had a top end rebuild at about 40k to sort the lack of head gasket issue, it then had a top and bottom end rebuild at about 150k.

As others have mentioned I suspect that it would need new shocks, all suspension bushes, possibly wheel bearings, maybe a gearbox rebuild, dizzy belt , caps and rotors.

Don't let all of that put you off, but the price does need to reflect exactly what work has or hasn't been done ..........

Jamie

good to hear it is running well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65872

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Will G-J on 07 July 2006

Don't know much about what upgrades would be worth doing. WRT the suspension especially

Any thoughts?

http://www.porsche964.nl/my964/suspension.php

a few pointers there for you

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65876

Will - your £4-£6K is in the ball park, but very little of it is likely to be immediately urgent. I would have thought that that car would make a very nice blank canvas. The most common suspension upgrade package for the 964 is the Bilstein HD shocks combined with H&R or Eibach springs. The kit is about £700 then factor in some time for fitting and set up etc. Gearbox rebuild is c. £1,500, but shouldn't really be necessary. All the other stuff is a matter of 100s of £ not 1,000s. The real money eater is the engine rebuild and any significant bodywork that may be required.

I remember seeing that ad on Pistonheads and thought it looked a good buy for someone. It's tricky territory though I would pay up for a really proper inspection. Get 9m to go through it with a fine tooth comb and give you a costing for every little thing that needs to be done - trust me there will be plenty, but some is more important than others.

In the last year or so there have been several discussions on the Porsche Club GB forum about the merits of upgrading bog standard 964s towards RS spec - might be food for thought. Mine is quite a long way down that road now ...........

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66109

Went to see this today and it was interesting. it was by no means cosmetically perfect. a few areas around the front and rear windscreens that need some attention, see pic. A dent on the rear bumper (other pic) and the odd scuff mark on the paintwork of the bumpers.

It seems to have been lowered but i can't find the invoice for what was done in the history. Oh yes and the alloys need a refurb.

What do you guys think about getting these bits sorted and spending some cash on some other bits and bobs. Still looking good as a blank canvas or carry on looking?

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/front%20windscreen.JPG

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Bumper%20dent.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66339

I would say those bits and the wheels needing refurbished should easy knock £1000-£1500 off his price............put it this way unless it comes back with a glowing PPi report those cosmetic bits will put a hell of a lot of people off buying

personally i'd maybe continue the hunt..............if it was my 993 i was selling and I had a bump like that in my bumper and corrosion in the window frame like that........i'd have got them fixed first

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66352

9M and Colin Belton is one of the best indies to undertake rebuild work on 964/993 engines. His stage 1 & 2 9M billet heads etc are works of art with impressive gains (360hp from the 3.6 engine, his own 993RSR runs something like 400bhp... all naturally aspirated!). May be worth a look if the 964 needs a rebuild!!!

I would press them again for more details about the car if they have done a lot of work on it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66402

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back