Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pressure

Superunknown

Something not quite right or common to 964's?

Oil pressure needle moves quite a bit when driving but sometimes when I come to a stop the needle will touch the 0 mark, activating the warning lights. However when i then pull off the needle returns to 4/5 and the warning lights go out.

Should i be concerned or need any parts replacing??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65280

Oil pressure is meant to be changing while driving, how about the oil level indicator? You need the engine warm, idleing on flat surface, then look at the level, should be @ half way, or more accurately check the level manually.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65283

Oil level sender is knackered as the gauge is off the scale when the electrics are on. CHecked the level on the dipstick and its just below half way between the notches. Could this effect the oil pressure gauge or maybe a faulty oil pressure sensor or something?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65287

Oil level seams right, but the idle pressure should be on the 2-3 mark (and not 0), and running pressure should be all the way up to 5. Don't know what might be faulty and someone with better knowlege might chime in, otherwise let the professional check it out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65291

On idle its around 2-3 as you say, and then up to 5 when driving. But sometimes if i brake to a halt at a junction for instance the needle will dip to 0 (activating warning lights) but as soon as i put power down the needle will return to normal. Irritating at the moment but wondering whether theres a potential problem lurking somewhere?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65294

I've only had the car 2 weeks so not sure what oil is in it. Plan to get a service v.soon and it was suggested I put Castrol 10 40 semi synthetic in. When I check the dip stick its hard to read the level as the oil is very clean, and to me looks too thin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65567

Oil pressure shouldn't dip to zero. About 1 bar minimum is OK. Could be a problem with the engine or the sensor. Or could be the oil in it is too thin.

A lot of people put 15W-50 in 964s as the best viscosity for these engines.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65652

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back