Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

first day porsche hunting: Qs

Will G-J

Good day today, henley regatta and my first day of porsche hunting as a serious potential customer.

Saw 4 cars, and as my mechanical knowledge is somewhere between non existant and childish humour involving 'big ends' I have a few questions for you knowledgeble people;

Saw a 964 C4 that has bee modified; during an engine rebuild the power has been increased from 250bhp to about 300bhp - firstly, i presume I will have to inform my insurers of this but how much extra is this likely to cost me? (given that i'm 22 and live in Liverpool)

Also a 964 C4 with idling problems, stalls a few times on removal from garage and then again when warm. I'm told by the owner that its an idling valve problem from sitting still for a few months and that a £15 replacement will see it fine. Is this possible/true?

I'm sure I had another but i've been up since 5am and it's gone right out of my head so if anyone has been patient enough to read this far and has any thoughts i'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65049

firstly the "modded" 964...........yip you should let the Insurance know about the performance enhancement........tho due to yer age it'll no doubt increase yer premium a fair bit.........also make sure it has been modded to 300bhp and isn't just some twaddle the vendor is telling ya....so look for receipts for the work etc and preferably Rolling road printouts showing the before and after figs

as for the dodgy idling one..........if its been sitting for months and the guy can't be bothered paying/fitting a £15 valve then what else has been skimped on???? whatever you do budget an inspection into it.........even at an OPC it should only be £150.......as due to the age of the car you should get a discounted rate......my 993 was OPC inspected prior to me buying it for the princely sum of £100+VAT

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65051

Hi,

I would walk, as Rodders has stated if it is only £15.OO why has he not sorted it?? Also if there is no paperwork to prove the upgrade got to make you wonder.

Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65059

Thanks for the input guys

Just to clear a few bits up, The paperwork is all in order. Extensive history and all the bill lovingly kept along with photos of the rebuild and rolling road printouts from the power hike.

Just wanted to know if the idle valve thing is a reasonable explaination of the problem. Seemed to be the first few times that it had happened so may not have been aware of the problem?

Cheers

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65069

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back