Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports exhaust components

alan sweeney

Montreal
Hi,

Having some reasonable weather in Cardiff yesterday, (raining everytime I want to give my C4S a good inspection!), I ventured under my new beast. Not really knowing that much about the components of a sports exhaust kit I did little research on the net.

My 2003 996 C4S has the factory fitted switchable sports exhaust. Apparently costing around £2600 inc vat and fitting. I negotiated the addition in the price. The kits available incorporate the manifold pipes, cat boxes and the after pipes. The only area that is new under my car ref the exhaust are the final pipes. The catg boxes are the old ones as is the manifold.

There is no problem as the exhaust works just curious exactly what the £2600 has paid for as the kits out there have the manifold, cat boxes , mufflers a lot cheape giving a few more BHP. Particularly if the manifold pipes are changed.

Will the factory fitted one give an increase in BHP???

Also noted that there is a web site that for £1400 can supply the Bi-xenon kits original 996 compnents is this worth while??? PM for the site as do not want to potentially break any rules.

Regards Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51893

The switchable exhaust is £1800 fitted in Cardiff OPC, I know because I checked last week re best price fitted.

With regards BHP, no gain.

Given that my wtty doesnt cover exhaust any way, I am thinking of buying a set of back boxes of ebay for £250 from Germany to get the same noise, the only diffrence is that I wont have the switchable part.

The way they get the noise, is a short pipe between the tail pipe and the back box, do a search on the site and you should find some pics.

Regard,

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51904

Alan. Porsche Sports Exhaust is a sound increase (and smile increase) only. £2,600 is a VERY high price for a retrofit - most are quoted £1,800 - £2,000. The parts cost about £1,000 and the rest is labour because the switchable function is a bitch to fit. I posted a link on here for the factory fitting instructions a while back and believe me, it's a job for your cheque book.

Bi-xenons are absolutely unbelievable, definitely a big improvement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51906

Daz. Research the clause that voids the warranty on items that non official parts are fitted to or get that RMS sorted before you buy the new zorst.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51907

Will do,

Thanks Stu,

Do you think I could just weld the pipe to the back boxes instead, it looks pretty straightforward.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51909

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 02 April 2006

Will do,

Thanks Stu,

Do you think I could just weld the pipe to the back boxes instead, it looks pretty straightforward.

Daz
Not sure what effect that would have on the internals. There may be something in there that routes the flow of gas. You could always go down the PSE route but not switchable.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51913

Looked at that and they only wanted an extra £200 to have it switchable. so I can either have non switchable for £1600 or switchable for £1800

Just think its a lot of money for an exhaust, my holliday to Kenya for the whole family isnt costing me that.

Just being tight I guess,

This £250 back box really appeals to me, however I dont want to put the mockers on my wtty, espesially with an RMS to get done.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51915

Have you thought about a Dansk? I think you can pick them up for about £450 at least they're a known quantity, although I'm told they're now made for them in China.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51919

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's. Only going on what the sales guy said ie £2,600 supply and fit. He was only £800 out, by all accounts. Wouldn't like him to do my balance sheet!!!

Any way on yet further scrambling under my car the back boxes and the pipes are definately new. I am assuming then the manifold change is the bad boy that gets the BHP increase? They have also put on the old tail tips.

Just got back form a nice family drive today over to Brecon. My wife, daughter (15 weeks old), and son, (12 years old). Definately a family car!!! Actually very impressed with the room. Got the rear facing child seat in the back and it was easy to fit. Although I could not fit the base unit. This is the extra you can have to make in and out easier.. My wife sat in the back to keep an eye on the nipper and my son in the front. Overall the first outing went well. Off to Derby next weekend , so we will see how a 2 hour plus drive feels.

One funny point. At Brecon, (Daz you may know), it is where all the bikers go on a Sunday. Friend I used to work with practically lived there, admire each others bikes etc, anyway I turn up with my beast and exhaust not one look!!! They were all too busy looking at a Belina???? Probably spelling it wrong. I guess we either love 2 wheels or 4 !!

Cheers Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51927

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by alan sweeney on 02 April 2006

One funny point. At Brecon, (Daz you may know), it is where all the bikers go on a Sunday. Friend I used to work with practically lived there, admire each others bikes etc, anyway I turn up with my beast and exhaust not one look!!! They were all too busy looking at a Belina???? Probably spelling it wrong. I guess we either love 2 wheels or 4 !!

Cheers Alan.

probably cos you have a 996.........if you had a 993 then i'd guess it would be a different story :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51928

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 02 April 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by alan sweeney on 02 April 2006

Cheers Alan.

probably cos you have a 996.........if you had a 993 then i'd guess it would be a different story :wink:

993 :)
Had X2 old VW Beetle's in my time!!! I think I could have turned up in any high end motor and had kylie Minogue and Jenny Lo with me and still not been noticed!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51929

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 02 April 2006

Daz. Research the clause that voids the warranty on items that non official parts are fitted to or get that RMS sorted before you buy the new zorst.
although there a lot of 996's out there with sports exhaust who have everything else covered under the warranty, if a dealer try's to pull the 'you've modded your speakers so you're now not covered for that RMS leak, your dealer is having a laugh....' which are virtual bully tactics

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51934

Hi Alan,

Did they fit the switchable bit of the exhaust ?

My sports exhaust was retro-fitted at the OPC by the previous owner but they by-passed the switchable bit. (sounds good all the time). Apparently if the sports exhaust is fitted when new at the factory it has to automatically cut off between 30mph & 45mph to comply with the noise emissions.

Someone now does a 3 way aftermarket switch ie: Auto/Off/On instead of Auto/Off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51993

The only reason i might have wanted the switch is for track days like Bedford with its low 101dB limit. But i was fine there, so no reason to have a switch as far as i am concerned... :D

I'm just waiting for DaveK to figure out how to get rid of the cut-out between 31-44 mph and then will do that and really have it ALWAYS ON which is how a 996 should sound!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51997

Hi Mark,

Yep Cardiff OPC retrofitted the system for my 3 year old C4S. They putn on the switch at the same time. Definate quiet phase between 30-45 mph. Presently it is not really concerning me. Got some work issues that are higher on the agenda.

But I will certainly get the falt spot sorted at some point in the future.

Cheers Al.

2003 C4S

2005 Toyota Verso

2005 Toyota Yaris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52097

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back